CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Rogue Rings, First Impressions

Rogue Fitness's Rogue Rings ($72, http://www.roguefitness.com/catalog/...de7097d9d59b22 -wfs-) are the newest edition in Rogue's line of Crossfitting equipment. In fact they are the first in a whole series of portable fitness gear crafted exclusively by them for a new generation of Crossfitters who don't go to the gym, but instead take the gym with them and it is absolutely a praiseworthy commencement.

The rings and straps were easily transported to my chosen fitness locale for the day; my local athletic club. They were a little weighty since they are made from heavy gauge steel, but no heavier than a large bottle of water; exactly 2 lbs. per ring. Setting up the straps was a cinch in every sense of the word. With other rings the part I usually dread is getting them hung, specifically threading the strap through the buckle, but I had no such hassle with the Rogue Rings. The ends of the straps are stiff and taper to a long point so they didn't snag on the knurl of the buckle and slid in without resistance, without sliding back out again, and the gate of the buckle didn't get in the way of my fingers feeding the strap through. I had the rings hanging from a wide, irregularly shaped metal beam, but they could have just as easily been hung from a pull-up bar or tree branch. One of the neatest little innovations of these straps is a small velcro loop that can be used to contain the extra slack in place and out of the way. So there was no need for me to wrap the extra length around the beam or endure the annoyance of it dangling in my way, I simple rolled it up and attached it at the buckle, where it was left totally unnoticed. It took me about a minute to have the rings up and ready to go.

Adjusting the necessary height was also a painless task. With other rings I've gotten the height where I wanted it only to find that when I loaded my weight on the them, there was maybe a quarter to a half inch of slack, often held by a slot in the ring, thus causing the rings to be unlevel with each other. Not so with Rogue Rings. Without the slots to impede the straps (or, for that matter, slots that will eventually break off) the rings were heavy enough to pull the straps taut on their own, so they hung the same height with or without my load to bear. Another benefit to not having the slot was, when there was an inevitable curl in the strap I could easily flip the strap around, inside-out, without re-threading the entire thing. That right there saved me about 3 extra minutes. The grooves of the straps allowed me to feel a subtle click-click-click as they pulled through the knurl of the buckle, and this feedback allowed me to more accurately gauge my adjustments accordingly. Additionally the buckles offered enough traction against the straps that once I had them adjusted, they stayed adjusted, no matter what I did on them afterwards.

So once I had the rings positioned where I wanted them, I chalked up and made my first attempt at a ring complex on the Rogue Rings. Dead-hanging into a muscle-up->l-sit->dip->deadhang->tuck front lever->skin the cat->inverted hang->inverted l-sit-> and dismount; the complex felt fluid and natural thanks to the firm grip I was able to exhibit on the rings and the ease with which the straps conformed around my body. What I mean by that is, with other rings I've found the straps digging into my triceps and forearms, causing resistance to my movements and noticeable chafage, afterwards usually leaving some pretty harsh bruising. The only time I even noticed the Rogue straps was before I even mounted the rings, allowing me to focus my attention exclusively on what I was doing.

Looking at the rings themselves they are clearly well crafted and engineered. Both the diameter and thickness of the rings would accommodate any trainee's grip, and the circumference makes a perfect "O." If you look for it you can just barely distinguish the seam where the metal is joined together, but other than a slight irregularity in the surface, the weld is completely undetectable. The rings felt substantial and strong in my hands and conformed to them well. The texture of the rings themselves, however, was a bit irritating. The powder finish coating was abrasive to the point that after only one use, I dismounted and looked down at my hands to find a small patch of skin hanging off of both wrists. These rings are totally slip resistant, but perhaps they hold a little too strong, too strong for the skin of my wrists to maintain. On the other hand (no pun intended), the rings held the chalk exceeding well, so perhaps after several more uses, once the rings are well chalked up, the low-grade sandpaper-like texture would no longer be an issue. Alternatively they could be well gone over individually with a coating of chalk by the user or simply taped. I did not try either of these things, but I suspect if the rings were well chalked, the abrasiveness would dissipate or cease altogether. After putting on my wrist wraps I had no more issues with this. My hands themselves are already well callused (my wrists are just beginning to be), so there was no trouble there, and might never have been anyhow.

Besides these rings being a little bit rough, they are extremely tough. Weighing two pounds each and made from heavy gauge steel these rings can tolerate some serious abuse. I didn't trample my rings under the force of a steamroller, drop them from the heights of The Eiffel Tower, nor did I hang them by the weight of an elephant over the course of my investigation to come to the conclusion that these rings will last a lifetime, and I don't need to. Bottom line is they're steel. Being a single piece of fused metal, with no little slots or pieces to break off, I can't imagine them ever falling apart on me. I could anticipate these being the only rings I'd ever need to maintain throughout the course of my training career. Last of all, with the rings' black finish and their matching black straps, they just plain look cool. And when the rings clang together like a bell, they sound cool too. This came as no surprise to me because these rings are cool.

All in all I found the Rogue Rings to be a high grade, finely crafted choice for the Crossfitter, Spartan warrior, or anyone else looking to hone their ring training skills anytime and anywhere. Their accessibility, durability and sleek, stylish look earns them a strong 9 out of 10.

Last edited by Tim Donahey; 01-23-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Re: Rogue Rings, First Impressions

Great review. Do you happen to have any pictures?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Rogue Rings, First Impressions

I got my Rogue rings today along with a prototype pull-up bar. I am one of the five that was given the rings and bar to review.

Some background: I just started Crossfitting back in November. I own a set of Elite II rings. Before buying the Elites I never used rings before.

Now here's my initial impressions.

First off, I love the strap and buckle system on the Rogue Rings. I would buy them over the Elite rings for this reason alone. I struggle to the point of frustration to thread the straps through the buckle that came with the Elites. I have no problem with the Rogues. It is very easy to thread the buckle. The straps for the Rogues also have a velcro strap that allows you bundle up the excess lengths of strap feeding through the buckle to keep them out of the way. A nice feature.

The Rogue rings will eventually be hanging permanently in my garage. I like the feel of the iron and the textured powder coat. I live in LA so I don't have to worry about them getting too cold. Having rock climbed in the gym and on actual rock I like the grainy texture of the rings. I doubt they will bother my hands and I expect the texture will hold chalk well.

Unfortunately, I can't currently actually use the Rogue rings. I haven't worked out for a week due to a an injury.

I won't be hanging up my Elites though. At half the weight of the Rogues they will be part of my portable gym. I will probably swap the straps between the two due to the ease of use of the Rogue buckles. However, this means I won't be able to thread the slot on the Elites since the straps that came with the Rogues are wider than the slot.

As for the pull-up bar, it will be added to my portable gym also. It appears to be of the same high quality as the rings, made of steel with a black textured powder coat. The bar is portable and can be used with the same straps that came with the rings. The bar is intended to be supported by the straps and kept in place by two loops welded to the bar.

In my opinion, two great products. (I can't wait to actually use them)
Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
William Henniger

Profile:

Here are some pics of the pullup bar these guys are talking about! The one seen here has a slight mod due to Tim's review. He was complaining about it turning in the straps, problem solved.

Should be in the store in the beginning of February. The bar will use the same straps as the rings, so you can use either.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions: bill@roguefitness.com

Or Call: (614) 358-6190
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00628.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00632.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1269  
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I would like to give my initial review of the Rogue Rings, this will not be my last review as I will know a lot more about these things after several weeks of use.

I want to thank Bill Henniger for the Rings and the chance to test them.

Rogue Fitness Rings:

The first time I hung these rings I jumped up and did my first full ROM ring dip. I was very excited, and I already liked these rings. I have been using the Classic Elite rings at my affiliate for 3 months but had not yet progressed beyond jumping dips. Since I was first introduced to rings only 3 months ago I am probably between a beginner and novice in terms of skill.
Fresh in my joy of doing a dip I inverted, did a few inverted pullups, went into a skin the cat, and back to inverted for some more pull-ups. I like the texture on the Rings a lot, it is not smooth so it holds chalk very well. I did not find it to be overly abrasive, but someone with softer hands might prefer a smoother texture such as is found on the Classic Elites.
I liked the straps, they are a wide 1.5 inches and they hold the rings in place very weel for what I was doing. This was an initial fear of mine, but I did not move the rings out of place in the webbing. The velcro keeper works very well and eliminates the annoying habit of extra lashing getting in the way. Big props to Rogue for that little fix. I have had issues with 1in straps biting into my forearms during dips and I am happy to report that I did not experience any strap bite today. This is likely a personal anatomy issue, but the wider straps work better for me.
The Construction of these rings is bulletproof. It is a strong steel tube bent perfectly round and welded together, and they are heavy. I like the heavy feel when I am on the rings. The aesthetics of the Rogue Rings is tough. Big black straps, with black steel rings hanging at the bottom, it says "hardcore".
The only negative I can think of is the weight, which is also a positive. I am a college student, so I am planning on stuffing the rings in my bookbag and using them between classes. They are heavy and a bit bulky so I'm not sure they are the best rings in terms of portability.

I have yet to really put the portable pull-up bar through the gauntlet, but I will post that review in the next week.

I will have pictures of my dip soon, I will also have pictures of a guy that is about 6'4" 275lbs doing jumping dips on these rings, like I said, bulletproof.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Edit: Triple Post (sorry mods)

Last edited by Aaron Trent; 01-27-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Edit: Double post

Last edited by Aaron Trent; 01-27-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I promised pictures, so here they are.

All pictures were taken at Carolina Crossfit (wfs) in Columbia, SC.

This is Chris doing jumping dips at 275lbs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2211/...c0c79f.jpg?v=0

And these are me doing ring dips!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/...a9fe7a.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2349/...bbcbe9.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2060/...241fb0.jpg?v=0