CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Hello from shanghai

Hi,

I'm new to Crossfit, but after trying aCindy and fran a couple of times at my local gym, i have to say the high intensity workout is exactly what the doctor ordered and i'm hooked.

i do have some problems though...
1. there's only one crossfit box in the whole city of 23 million.
2. whilst i consider myself to be pretty healthy from a fitness perspective, but given the intensity and strength needed i feel i'm a little behind the 'minimum requirements'

SO, does anyone have some recommendation on a PRE-Crossfit workout/conditioning programme?

a little background -
been training at the gym for about 6 years
running a mile in about 8 minutes
Cindy - in ten minutes - 5 rounds

dumbbell bench press - 70lbs per hand
currently 176lbs (my weight)
VERY weak legs - thusters - using 20lbs bar.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Kate Head

Profile:
Re: Hello from shanghai

Hi Kenneth,

Some more information would be good.
Like what have you been doing at the gym? What is your normal training session? What are you hopping to get out of your training?

Also when you say the box is the only one around, does that mean its too busy or too far to get too and you would prefer to train at home?

Without more information I suggest just get in there and do it. Be relistic about your scaling as injury is not worth it. The trainers are there to help you.

Don't compare yourself to others in the gym. Compare yourself to you.
As long as your always improving yet keeping form you only need to beat your last set, weight or time.

Have fun and enjoy it.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Hi Kate,

thanks for responding.

Like what have you been doing at the gym?
i spend a lot of time at the gym, probably 2 hours or more a time 7 days a week, its partly because there's not much else for expats to do in China, and partly because i really enjoy working out. as for specifics - see below.

What is your normal training session?
I keep a log of my workouts via fitocracy.com you can see them here - http://crossfitshanghai.tumblr.com/

as an example -
Thrusters 5sets 70lbsx5reps, 55lbsx10 reps,55 lb x 10 reps, 45 lb x 10 reps, 45 lb x 10 reps

Clean 4 sets 25 lb x 12 reps,45 lb x 12 reps,55 lb x 12 reps,70 lb x 12 reps

Dumbbell Bench Press
75 lb x 8 reps
75 lb x 8 reps
75 lb x 8 reps
60 lb x 10 reps
60 lb x 10 reps
60 lb x 10 reps

Barbell Deadlift
70 lb x 8 reps
70 lb x 10 reps
70 lb x 15 reps

What are you hopping to get out of your training?
i'm really hoping to get stronger, and fitter, i used to (7 years ago) be in the Territorial Army (like national guard) and was training heavily in a 'mens health' body building kind of way. but i really just care about fitness and strength now...with an end goal to do something like tough mudder or spartan race.

Also when you say the box is the only one around, does that mean its too busy or too far to get too and you would prefer to train at home?
the only box, is about a hour away, its really not cheap and to be brutally honest Im not sure i'll be able to survive a 'real' class there (though i'm, going to try one today) - so given this, i can only really go to the box 1 day a week...But i do have access to my local globo-gym who, aside from strange looks, don't really care what i do.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
Hi,

1. there's only one crossfit box in the whole city of 23 million.
Not to hijack the tread, but where is the box? Do they have a website? Couldn't find it on the affiliate finder map. I'll be in Shanghai for work the first week of November and would love to drop in.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
Not to hijack the tread, but where is the box? Do they have a website? Couldn't find it on the affiliate finder map. I'll be in Shanghai for work the first week of November and would love to drop in.

Hey Phil, this is them - http://www.eternity-fitness.com/services/crossfit/ (WFS)

when i went there were one or two who seemed to be crossfit 'fanatics', everyone else was kind of 'average' so i'm unsure how good they are, as i've got no comparison.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
Why are they not listed on the CF Affiliate page?

I'll just hit the hotel gym if they're ripping off HQ. Hijack over, back to your training questions.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Kate Head

Profile:

My sugestion would be up the metcons, work on your endurance. Maybe throw in some Tabata style workouts. Im happy to send you some of the ones I do for inspiration.

I also do a fair bit of Muay Thai, started cross fit for more weight strength. I like variety and challenges.

Tough mudder is a great goal. I have heard its better than the Sartan Death Race. Im yet to compare but next year ill be able to find a tough mudder event and get zapped.

Cheer's
Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Head View Post
My sugestion would be up the metcons, work on your endurance. Maybe throw in some Tabata style workouts. Im happy to send you some of the ones I do for inspiration.
Hi Kate,

thanks so much, i'd really appreciate any help with programming i can get. i used to do a fairly organzied body building style program, but that was years ago, no my program has almost no structure at all. so any workouts/programs you can share would be fantastic!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Jeck Shen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
Why are they not listed on the CF Affiliate page?

I'll just hit the hotel gym if they're ripping off HQ. Hijack over, back to your training questions.
Some of Asia's crossfit boxes are not available in the affiliate map.

I couldn't find my local box in the map either, and I'm 100% sure Crossfit HQ had declared Crossfit Malaysia as affiliate already.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Kate Head

Profile:

[quote=Kenneth Cheung;1089981]Hi Kate,

thanks so much, i'd really appreciate any help with programming i can get. i used to do a fairly organzied body building style program, but that was years ago, no my program has almost no structure at all. so any workouts/programs you can share would be fantasticQUOTE]

Hi Ken, Sorry about the delay but here is one to kick you off. Im trying to up load my document but its taking some time. Damm PCs. (possibly user error lol)

8 exercises, 30 second rounds, 10 second rest. 3-4 sets with 1min rest between sets

Deep squats with weight (medicine ball or dumbbells)
Speed punching
Walking lunges
Power hooks
Box jumps
Bicep curls
Wall sit with weight
Uppercuts

Total 23min40sec

I usually do 4 rounds. Let the first one act like a warm up and do streches inbetween the sets when there is the min rest. Speed is the key.

Finish with some ab work and streches if you a pushed for time. Or get stuck into some bag work or sparing with a partner. Practice cross fit moves and lifts.

Most importantly have fun.