CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:
Zone help/weightloss

On Jan 11th, I started with both Crossfit and the Zone. I'm working out 5 on, 2 off (M-F) as best as I can, somedays work gets in the way, but since then I've only missed maybe 2 days of working out. It's been about 3 weeks, and I feel like I'm doing well with the Zone, measuring my food, trying to stay on top of 3 meals and 2 snacks. In the first 2 weeks, I noticed a 7 lb decrease in weight. It has been about a month now, and overall, I only had that initial change within the first 2 weeks while I got dialed in, and since then, not much change. The workouts are making my a little stronger, but again it is gradual.

Here were my measurements on Jan 11th.
Weight- 192 lbs
Waist- 43 in
Wrist- 7 in
BF% = 30 %
Fat Mass = 57.6 lbs
Lean Weight = 134.4 lbs
Protein Rx = 94.08 g per day, which is ~13 blocks (with moderate activity factor of .7)

I know as of last week (at work we are in the middle of a weight loss contest, and we weigh in every friday) I weighed in at 184.6 lbs.

I used the activity factor of .7 because I knew there would be days where I would miss working out. I'm following the BrandX scaled WODs at the puppy level, which kicks my butt. Depending on the workout, I may be able to bump up a level.

My question is this. Am I dialed in right? Should I be noticing a bigger change? Do I need to change my activity factor? I'm not logging what I eat anywhere, but I am taking the time to figure out what a 3 block portion is with the foods I like to eat, and I have a scale I've been using to help measure also. How will I know if I need to retool? I'll post another thread about fish oil, because the only protien I don't eat a lot of is fish. I like seafood, but my wife hates it, so we lack fish in the house (I manage to get some canned albacore tuna from time to time). Most of my fats come from butter, olive oil, almonds, and cashews. Also, how important is it to get that last snack? I know that I've been eating it about half the time.

Thanks!
Juan
Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Zone help/weightloss

Juan-
Without knowing the change in bodyfat content since January 11, all I can say is that you've already lost 8 pounds in less than a month...

That is awesome!

Sounds like you are doing the right thing so far. Give it a good 60 days and then do all the measurements again.

At that point it may be time to reassess.

Good job so far!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Realize that if your weight is steady right now you may very well be gaining muscle, especially starting out with only 134lbs lean at a total weight of over 190.

The bad part is you are probably not going to win the contest, but you don't want to sacrifice LBM to win a weight loss contest, you want to be strong and healthy!

The good part and only one that really matters is that you are gradually getting stronger! Keep it up.

How is your waist measurement right now?

How is your performance?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Without knowing the change in bodyfat content since January 11, all I can say is that you've already lost 8 pounds in less than a month...
That is awesome!
Thanks for the encouragement. It's good advice to wait another month and see. I feel good with the meals I'm eating, and the block levels.

Quote:
Realize that if your weight is steady right now you may very well be gaining muscle, especially starting out with only 134lbs lean at a total weight of over 190.

The bad part is you are probably not going to win the contest, but you don't want to sacrifice LBM to win a weight loss contest, you want to be strong and healthy!
I only entered because the rest of the office did, and I have used this as an opportunity to stay focused. I'll check my waist in the morning when I get up. If I get into the shape Crossfit promises, that will be a win for me.
As far as my performance goes, I'm seeing slight improvement. I don't know when I should really move up from puppy to porch, but I think I still have a long way to go. I have to cut back on the weight a lot for the olympic lifts, but it definetly doesn't take away from the workout for me. My form is still weak on majority of the lifts, and I'm starting to work on incorporating the Burgener warmup along with the CF warmup.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

Just to update you guys-
42 in waist, 6.75 in wrist, 184 lbs this morning.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

i've been on the zone for 7 weeks, and I"m hitting a weight plateau now. I'm barely able to lose 10 lbs (I'm floating between 8-9 for the past 2 weeks now). I am getting discouraged, because I feel like I'm working hard at the gym, and staying true to the zone for all but 1-2 meals a week. One thing I did notice is that my veggie intake is low, because I've been eating more grains instead. Could that be the problem? I just can't seem to get below 180, and when I input calculate my block requirements now, I still get the same- at 13.

Weight: 182
Waist: 42
Wrist: 6.75
BF% ~34-35%

Do I need to increase what my activity factor is (my initial calculations were at .3 -moderate)? I manage to workout 4-5 days a week, 5 on 2 off or 4 on 3 off. What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Romero Jr View Post
i've been on the zone for 7 weeks, and I"m hitting a weight plateau now. I'm barely able to lose 10 lbs (I'm floating between 8-9 for the past 2 weeks now). I am getting discouraged, because I feel like I'm working hard at the gym, and staying true to the zone for all but 1-2 meals a week. One thing I did notice is that my veggie intake is low, because I've been eating more grains instead. Could that be the problem? I just can't seem to get below 180, and when I input calculate my block requirements now, I still get the same- at 13.

Weight: 182
Waist: 42
Wrist: 6.75
BF% ~34-35%

Do I need to increase what my activity factor is (my initial calculations were at .3 -moderate)? I manage to workout 4-5 days a week, 5 on 2 off or 4 on 3 off. What am I doing wrong?
Ditch the grains and eat more fruits and veggies for your carb blocks.
I think the CrossFit default is .7 for people with a 3 & 1 rtoutine.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

You're right, I used .7 the first time I did my block requirements. I did them again today, but now it seems like my blocks should be at 12. I think I'm making this harder than it should be- and I'm confused. Should I just stay with 13 for now?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Nick Hanson

Profile:

You have to get rid of the grains. It is extremely important. Unless I cheat, I am eating no grains in any of my meals. All of my carbs come fruits and vegetables. If its not on the outside of the aisle at the supermarket, you probably shouldn't be buying it.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

Quote:
You have to get rid of the grains. It is extremely important...
Other than the High GI stuff I read about in "Mastering the Zone" what are some other reasons why? Also, where does dairy fit into all this?