CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Jerol Roberts

Profile:
exertion headache... :(

got my first exertion headache christmas eve morning performing hang snatch. to start things off...i had been at a wedding all weekend which consisted of drinking, staying up late, etc...so when i returned home and worked out monday morning, i was most like dehydrated to a degree. Secondly, on my last set of hang snatch which was high reps ( i think 20 ) i was doing to much weight and could tell my form was lacking, but i pressed on for some dumb reason. All of a sudden BANG! headache hits and i was forced to quit the workout. that was monday..so i rested till today which is wednesday...thinking i would be ok. did a moderate set of deadlift today..fine untill the last set, felt the headache creep back so i quit.

my main questions are...how long should i rest and what has proven to be helpful with these? i want to be able to go balls to the wall again without always having the thougth of a migrain lurking in the bacj of my mind.
i realize there are other threads on this but wanted some fresh info. any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Daniel Pope

Profile:
Re: exertion headache... :(

Hey Jerol,

I'd definitely go to the doc ASAP. Stress headaches could be related to blood pressure. You might have some blood pressure issues and have never known it!

Dan
Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Jerol Roberts

Profile:

thank you, ill def go get checked out. im 24 and have never had any blood pressure issues, went and had a check up about a week ago and was normal.im hoping it had to do with dehydration or just an aggrivated nerve from bad form. just kinda leery on how much time off is needed so this booger doesnt come back on me
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Henrik Dagmalm

Profile:

Hey Jerol! You have my deepest sympathy. I had a similar experience in October this year. My muscles in my upper back were so tight that they pressed on nerves that gave me headaches.
After going to the emergency unit at the local hospital (on orders from my physician) I'm now investing a lot of time in warm ups, stretch, yoga and winding down post WOD and driving lactic acids out of my muscles.
I have only been doing CrossFit for 6 months and wasn't prepared for the effort you need to put into recovery. CrossFit is truly the most efficient way of training and certainly requires your full attention before, during and after working out.

I'm going at full blast again, but I balance "putting out" with recovering.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Matt Motley

Profile:

Jerol, I had one about a year ago... I found rest to be the most important in recovery. I know its not what you wanna hear, but that's really what it takes. Read other posts about them. That's what most of them will say... Also, heat will help the healing process. After a week or two, you might try some stretching and massage.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Jerol Roberts

Profile:

thanks guys, i took a week and a half off and have not had once since. the first day back was deadlift day....so i took it easy and felt one coming on my last set last rep..so i stopped and took a breather and it went away. that was monday and ive worked out every day since then, including today. i had a great week back and just focused on a better wearm up, stretching, and breathing properly,along with paying extra attention to form. i also had a deep tissue massage 3 days after my first headache. i pretty much linked my head ache to a couple things...dehydration, bad form, to much wieght. so from now on im going to be more careful so i never get one of these monsters again!