CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Creatine Question

Hey guys,

I've been debating in my head on whether to start taking creatine. It would be a no brainer for me in normal circumstances, but I'm going to be leaving for NAVY RTC in April, which is 8-9 weeks long.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I were to take creatine up until then, and then stop taking it for the 8 weeks (with addition to no strength training other than pushups and pullups occasionally) would it cause me more harm than good? I'm sure I would see a lot of gains with it up until then (almost 7 months from now) but would those gains just disappear?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:
Re: Creatine Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Hey guys,

I've been debating in my head on whether to start taking creatine. It would be a no brainer for me in normal circumstances, but I'm going to be leaving for NAVY RTC in April, which is 8-9 weeks long.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I were to take creatine up until then, and then stop taking it for the 8 weeks (with addition to no strength training other than pushups and pullups occasionally) would it cause me more harm than good? I'm sure I would see a lot of gains with it up until then (almost 7 months from now) but would those gains just disappear?

Any help would be appreciated.
So I went through RTC in 2003. I can only hope PT has changed since then. Navy RTC is extremely....disappointing in terms of PT. I dont remember actually having any rough days in RTC. At the time it sucked simply because its a lot of head games but if you are on this board you most likely crossfit. If you crossfit I assume you are in decent to great, if not amazing, shape. Also, im pretty sure you love working out, which its safe to say we all do. RTC will be terribly frustrating for you for that fact. As for the Creatine..ill only echo Chris Mason, which im sure the name of this thread will tickle him into looking in it. Its more of a build-up effect with it where you have to take it every day to take away the ergogenic benefits. Once you stop, you dont necessarily "lose" your gains, although a small amount of loss may occur. But, once your done with RTC and go to "A" school you can start it back up but its gonna take a bit to build back up. ALSO...they will warn you like crazy against taking supplements at any "A" school and this is only to cover their asses because of hydration issues. I find most people are chronically under hydrated and so they will push that more than anything but at RTC you wont get a chance to supplement anyway. I do, for your sake, hope RTC has changed in terms of having harder PT or you will wish you had chosen the USMC before its over.

Whats your rate, by the way?

- Nick
Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
So I went through RTC in 2003. I can only hope PT has changed since then. Navy RTC is extremely....disappointing in terms of PT. I dont remember actually having any rough days in RTC. At the time it sucked simply because its a lot of head games but if you are on this board you most likely crossfit. If you crossfit I assume you are in decent to great, if not amazing, shape. Also, im pretty sure you love working out, which its safe to say we all do. RTC will be terribly frustrating for you for that fact. As for the Creatine..ill only echo Chris Mason, which im sure the name of this thread will tickle him into looking in it. Its more of a build-up effect with it where you have to take it every day to take away the ergogenic benefits. Once you stop, you dont necessarily "lose" your gains, although a small amount of loss may occur. But, once your done with RTC and go to "A" school you can start it back up but its gonna take a bit to build back up. ALSO...they will warn you like crazy against taking supplements at any "A" school and this is only to cover their asses because of hydration issues. I find most people are chronically under hydrated and so they will push that more than anything but at RTC you wont get a chance to supplement anyway. I do, for your sake, hope RTC has changed in terms of having harder PT or you will wish you had chosen the USMC before its over.

Whats your rate, by the way?

- Nick
Nick,

Thanks for such a quick and informative post! So you're saying I SHOULD take it then? I'd love to hear from Chris. You're correct, I love working out and I'm sure RTC hasn't changed, by brother went through a year ago and said it was a cakewalk. Its a bummer but it will be nice to get my military discount at boxes! I also hope to get enough time to possibly join a box while in A-school.

I'm going to be a Corpsman! What is/was your rate?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

I'd say do it, just be diligent about dosing and taking it everyday. I was active duty from '03-'07 and I am still in the reserves. Im an Master-At-Arms. How many years did you sign up for? Also, look into getting as many "C" schools as you can. The Navy has been really stingy these past few years in approving advanced schooling but you need to get it, go FMF if you can also. Enjoy RTC, its alright, you'll make freinds, Great Lakes can be really cold and stay under the radar. RTC will more than likely be mostly classroom, drill hall and then of course, "Battle Stations". If you can, during your work rotation try and go to the Galley, its a change of pace and you will be able to talk alot more. Galley work sucks, but at RTC since it actually is going to end its more fun than the other work groups you can be put in.

- Nick
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Thanks again! I signed up for 5 years, and hopefully I will be able to get into the Physical Therapy C-school. I'm not really worried about the weather since I'm from Michigan, I'm pretty conditioned to the cold ...must have sucked to be you. What exactly is the galley? I'll keep that in mind for sure!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, you should take it. It'll help you get stronger before you go, and it's not like you'll suddenly lose more strength than you had gained when you quit taking it. You're going to lose some fixed percentage of your strength at boot camp anyways....let's say it's 25% for simplicity purposes. You'll be better off at the end if you start at, say, a 250lb squat and lose 25% than if you start at a 225lb squat and lose 25%. Going off creatine doesn't mean that you'll lose 35% instead of 25%, which seems to be what you're asking.

Again, this is a huge oversimplification, but hopefully the basic point makes sense.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks again! I signed up for 5 years, and hopefully I will be able to get into the Physical Therapy C-school. I'm not really worried about the weather since I'm from Michigan, I'm pretty conditioned to the cold ...must have sucked to be you. What exactly is the galley? I'll keep that in mind for sure!

Thats cool. Im sure you are gonna enjoy your active duty time. Just dont let anyone deny you that "C" School...you need to submit for it every chance you get and as soon as you qualify for it. The galley is the cafeteria. You are going into the Navy...start learning the terms.

"Gundeck"
"Geedunk"
"Galley"
"Bulkhead"
Port and Starboard (and know which one is which)
Learn military time.
Learn all the General Orders of a Sentry
Learn the Sailors Creed
Learn "Anchors Aweigh"...the correct, whole version.
....before you get there.

Things to NOT do...do not get: cans of A1R, do not grab PU55Y forms, do not clean out "Davie Jones'" locker, and never request to speak with Chief/Masterchief/Captain/Admiral "Bofadees".

- Nick
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Eric, thanks. That's what I thought, but since I'm inexperienced with it I'm glad I have you guys to ask.

Nick, you're awesome! I'm working on the 11 General Orders right now and I've already got the creed down. It's a good thing I've got til April
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Eric, thanks. That's what I thought, but since I'm inexperienced with it I'm glad I have you guys to ask.

Nick, you're awesome! I'm working on the 11 General Orders right now and I've already got the creed down. It's a good thing I've got til April

Plenty of time, learn that stuff cold. Know the orders out of order also because they will spot check you on a daily basis and wont be 1-11 it will be "give me number 6". 6 & 11 are the longest if i remember correct. Also, the moment you get there start learning the full chain of command, from your RDC up thorugh to POTUS (POTUS= President Of The United States). Try to find someone in you rate either at a local NOSC (NOSC= Naval Operational Support Center) or around the recruiters office that can explain how they divvy up orders at your "A" school to already formulate how you are gonna get your orders and where you may go. My advice, try and either get on a Carrier or try and go to an OCONUS (OCONUS= Outside of the Contiguous United Stateds...basically...overseas)

- Nick
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
Plenty of time, learn that stuff cold. Know the orders out of order also because they will spot check you on a daily basis and wont be 1-11 it will be "give me number 6". 6 & 11 are the longest if i remember correct. Also, the moment you get there start learning the full chain of command, from your RDC up thorugh to POTUS (POTUS= President Of The United States). Try to find someone in you rate either at a local NOSC (NOSC= Naval Operational Support Center) or around the recruiters office that can explain how they divvy up orders at your "A" school to already formulate how you are gonna get your orders and where you may go. My advice, try and either get on a Carrier or try and go to an OCONUS (OCONUS= Outside of the Contiguous United Stateds...basically...overseas)

- Nick
Yeah, they already gave me the chain of command but I'm not going to bother with it until after the election in case things get changed up. I've been looking online for info on the A-school, because I don't think anyone at my recruiting station has any clue. Right now though, I want to get stationed somewhere around Norfolk because that is where my brother is, I was thinking the hospital in Portsmouth or possibly the Ike (my brothers ship). Where were you at?