CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Lachlan Tijsen

Profile:
Creatine question

I am new to CF and also a rookie when it comes to nutrition and supplements. After researching a little bit about Creatine, it says that it is generally used so that you are able to work out longer. As CF's workouts tend to be fairly short, is there any value in using Creatine?

Any help would be great. Sorry if this is a repeated question too!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Dustin Lorance

Profile:
Re: Creatine question

Creatine in short helps supply energy to muscle.

-It is also responsible for improving performance in high-intensity exercise, increasing energy levels, and speeding up recovery rates.
-Creatine's ability to enhance energy reserves in muscles comes from its muscle protein synthesizing action, while minimizing protein breakdown. This occurs because creatine has the awesome effect of super-hydrating muscle cells with water. It enhances muscles' growth too-making muscle fibers bigger and stronger.

Creatine really isnt about length of workout...
Taking creatine for any explosive movement (olympic lifting!, lifting weights, plyometrics, sports) may have some good outcomes.
I used it during my days of wrestling and fighting.
It will also help with recovery

Its important to look up side-effects, although you are most likely fine is you dont have, or history of, kidney problems.
Also important to note that some people naturally have enough reserve of creatine in their skeletal muscle, these lucky people will not see any good or negative outcomes in taking creatine...

So inshort.
Helps get energy to muscles, especially with explosive movements which crossfit has many!
Good for recovery
And finally, take it! if you dont like it, ditch it....if you do like it, then awesome.

Try it, you should have logs kept of your times on wod's and the girls, repeat such workouts and if they improve then stick with it, it might be placebo affect, might be you just getting better, or a great day, but hey...if the times are getting better...
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Dustin Lorance

Profile:

For some reason i didnt mention this:

Creatine is a supplement

With a great diet, hard work-outs, alot of sleep you are fine.
Protein powders, creatine, supplements in general only supplement what your doing, if your already doing everything proper then it really doesnt matter.

Creatine will just give you a bit jump.
Make sure before you take creatine your diet, sleep, and workouts are full max and your giving 100%, then decide to take supplements including creatine.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Lachlan Tijsen

Profile:

I am thinking about using it, as well as protein powder. I have used protein before, but don't think my diet was right, so it didn't have much effect.
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I will try and manage my diet first before getting in to it.
Cheers
Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Peter Rocchio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan Tijsen View Post
I am thinking about using it, as well as protein powder. I have used protein before, but don't think my diet was right, so it didn't have much effect.
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I will try and manage my diet first before getting in to it.
Cheers
Just keep in mind that you don't "use" protein (powder) any more than you "use" steak. It's food, you eat it. It won't affect you differently than food would. That isn't to say you shouldn't eat protein powder, I used to mix some with milk as a post workout drink or if I was in a rush.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Dustin Lorance

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rocchio View Post
Just keep in mind that you don't "use" protein (powder) any more than you "use" steak. It's food, you eat it. It won't affect you differently than food would.
This is extremely true.
There is reasons that i use a protein powder instead of eating "real food", maybe they follow for you too

-First for the simple convenience, easy to make right after you workout, small to carry, ect...
-After working out i never feel like eating that much, but im always very thirsty, so drinking a shake goes well with my stomach instead of trying to down 4oz of chicken
-it tastes awesome! Almost as a cheat meal, tricks my mind into thinking im drinking like a chocolate shake....keeps my sanity
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Creatine goes into your muscles as phosphocreatine (or creatine phosphate) and provides extra phosphate energy to ADP to quickly produce ATP for usage.

At best it allows you to push out maybe 1-2 extra reps per set. Can be cumulative sigifnicant over a period of training... but will not make a huge impact like improving diet, sleep, stress levels, etc. will.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Lachlan Tijsen

Profile:

Thanks for all of this guys. A great help.
Cheers
Old 06-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Thomas Green

Profile:

You don't need it, IMHO. Just keep training hard and you'll get the results you want.