CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Bryant Yee

Profile:
Exertion Headache?

Hi Y'all,

Well if things couldn't get any wierder, now I think I have exertion headaches. I saw some good stuff on this from a search, but I was wondering if anybody had any newer feedback.

Basically the other day I was doing pullups, when after about 7 I started to get a nasty headache in the back of my head. I stopped and the headache went away shortly thereafter. Since then, it has popped up intermittedly during exercises such as pullups and pushups and only when I'm trying to go for a max set. Running and other sorts of lifting exercises for some reason do not bother me.

I've never had these sort of headaches before nor are headaches a normal problem for me with the exception of the day after a long night! Coincidentally, I noticed this problem at the gym on January 1st which happens to be the day after New Years Eve. Perhaps I started working out before my body was fully recooperated? Regardless, I have several possible explanations for these headaches:

1. Started taking creatine about 2 weeks ago...I think I'm drinking enough water, but perhaps I am not and this is a side effect. I stopped taking it as of a few days ago.
2. Too much sleep...I'm on college break and have literally spent days sleeping!!! I know from the past, that too much sleep can cause headaches...
3. Eating crap...Sadly enough, since being on break I've sort of been off my normal diet which generally is very healthy. I've been doing fast food and pantry raids for lack of better options.

Once I get back to my normal school schedule, I'm planning on cleaning my act up. Does anybody think that the 3 things above could play a roll in this? Like I've said, headaches have never really been a problem for me, and I'm way too young to have all these wierd things pop up all at one time. Maybe a rest? I read somewhere online that 2-3 weeks rest is in order...I can't imagine resting that long but I really don't know. Some of the prior searches on this subject came up with talking to a doctor because it could possibly be something serious. Again, since I am young and active I could not imagine something this serious. I am seeing my Prolo doc on Tuesday, and will ask her about this. Thanks for any input...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Exertion Headache?

Could be eating crap or not drinking enough water.

Are you holding your breath? Are you tensing your neck muscles a lot during work? Those are the usual two causes of exertional headaches besides dehydration.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Bryant Yee

Profile:

Thanks for the help Steve. I really appreciate all of your advice.

I think it's the diet and the water. I definately don't think it will hurt to go back to my normal diet/sleeping patterns.

I've always thought my breathing during exercise was one of my strong points, but I do notice that I don't experience any problems with the headache until near the end of my set--where I would be most prone to holding my breath. Even still, I've always focused on my breathing so I am not sure this is the problem.

It could be tensing my neck. That would make sense why I get them only when I am doing push ups or pull ups. I am actually going to the gym tonight, and I will focus on this.

I told my paps, and he wants me to go get it checked out. I'll probably get an appt. with my physician tomorrow, but I really don't think this is major. However, if it continues, than it could prove to be a real showstopper for my Marine Corps aspirations. Bottomline, I will drink more water and pay even more attention to my breathing/tensing my neck patterns and see how it pans out.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Something like 90 percent of headaches are caused by lack of water, at least that is the rumour. Next I would think it is your breathing, lastly your neck muscles. But like you mentioned, it's prob water and diet.