CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
John Stirling

Profile:
Okay...now I get it...

Let me start by saying that you can laugh at me all you want, I feel like I deserve it at this point. I am 26 years old, 6' 3 1/2" and around 215 lbs. I have been lurking for the past several months trying to get a feel for what Crossfit is and decide if it would accomplish what I wanted. I've lifted for years and always get burnt out with the monotony of the workout routines and the slow pace they move at. I have also been chasing a six-pack for several years and have not been able to accomplish it with other workout routines. I always went with powerlifting programs to get big, to the extent of buying a program called "Huge" which is built by Mr. Olypia contestants. This is not what I want. I want to be ripped, in good physical shape for my job, and feel good in my skin. I decided in the past couple weeks to try Crossfit and today was my first day using it.

I've always considered myself to be in pretty good shape. I also realize that there is a difference in all types of conditioning. I played football and wrestled in high school and both sports required a different type of conditioning. I've started boxing in the past couple of years and that is another type of wind that it takes for that sport. I thought I would come in today for my first WOD and would be tired, but not winded. I was wrong.

I have now seen what this program is about and I'm a believer. Since it was my first day on the program, I scaled it as follows:

155 Deadlift, 15 reps
15 handstand pushups w/ knees on a box
Jumping pullups, 15 reps
75 lb thrusther, 15 reps

And of course I did it for three rounds. My time was 24:50. I know that's slow but I did become pretty winded at several points. I scaled it down to make myself not have to stop in the middle of an exercise. I have always had trouble with pullups for whatever reason and am looking forward to the day that I can do these programs without using the jump. I have never tried to do handstand pushups so I found out today that I had to use my knees on the box to start out.

My question is this: is the way that I scaled this alright with the program since I'm just starting out? I don't like to admit that I couldn't do it with the full weights listed for today, but I just couldn't. I'm not sore right now, but I really never am right after a workout. I'm sure I'll be hurting tomorrow or the next day.

I look forward to talking with everyone on this forum and welcome any advice, criticism or comments. And to all of you that can do the full workout without a problem...

I hope that someday soon I'll be able to stick with you through the WOD's.

Thank you.

John
Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Re: Okay...now I get it...

You picked one heck of a day to start CrossFit.

Regarding scaling, a lot of people like to refer to the forum at Brand X Martial Arts.

I've recently come to consider jumping pull ups to be more of a jumping exercise assisted by your lats as opposed to being a pull up exercise assisted by your legs. Other subs could be to use elastic bands for pull up assistance or body rows.

Your progress and learning curve will be steep and you'll eventually find the pull ups and WODs more manageable. They'll still be challenging though.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Jason Karr

Profile:

Welcome. I am also new but probably not in as good of shape as yourself. I also scale the WOD's down but I try not to scale them to the point of being a bit easy. Right now I am just trying to work my strength up to the point that I can do the actual Rx'd WOD's then I will start really focusing on time. If you can do the weights I say go for it and see what your actual time is. That will give you a better idea of where you stand, even if you do have to stop during any specific exercise. Just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
John Stirling

Profile:

I'm still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the advice though. The body rows sound like a good idea, I'll have to try that next time. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I consider this program to be more of an overall body conditioning than a weight/mass gaining program. I know that I'll put some mass on from it, but it's not the main focus. I'm planning to get a feel for it with the first few days and then start working up. I figure, if I get my conditioning with the program down first by dropping weight and going constant, the weight will come up when I can go through it totally without stopping.

I also forgot to mention earlier that I am pressed for time a lot with my job and the fact that I'm getting ready to have my first child. I like the idea of being able to get into the gym and get a good workout in a short amount of time.

John
Old 01-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Work up to rx'd slowly. Trying to tackle more of this than you can handle is a good way to get yourself hurt (rhabdo or otherwise).
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
David Sailor

Profile:

John,

That's a decent effort for your first day. Scaling was a smart move, you'll probably still get DOMS but that's preferable to Rhabdo. Ease in and work your way up to "As Rx'ed". There's a lot of information on this board and a lot of people willing to help, David.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
John Stirling

Profile:

David, I appreciate the words of encouragement, but I'm confused. Again, I'm new so forgive me. What are DOMS and Rhabdo? Sorry for my ignorance.

John
Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
David Sailor

Profile:

John, no problem.

DOMS is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. You feel fine now, maybe tired but not sore. Sometime tomorrow you say "What the hell happened to me?" and you realize the pain is from yesterday's workout.

Rhabdo is bad. Go here:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/

The 5th article down on the right side column by Eugene Allen gives a very comprehensive view on why you want to avoid this.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
John Stirling

Profile:

David, I appreciate it. I know exactly what you're talking about with DOMS but I just didn't know what the acronym stood for. I have DOMS all the time. I am one of the guys that will lift, feel a little sore the day after, but on the second day everything seizes up overnight and I can barely move in the morning.

As far as Rhabdo, I try to take care of it because I've seen the bad effects of it. When I was in high school, several wrestlers from other teams died one year from prolonged, intense workouts in a sauna with sweat suits on. I keep hydrated during workouts and, if I come to a point that I can't do it anymore, I stop.

I learned a long time ago that there's a difference between pain and injury. Thanks again for all the help.

John