CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
David Johnson

Profile:
CFT cheater?

Hey, everyone, I've had a nagging question on my past few Crossfit Total WODs. I've started to employ a few "tricks" on the shoulder press to raise my numbers.

Specifically, I've found that if I do a push press at about 115-120% of my anticipated max at the end of my warmup, I stand a much higher chance of making the lift. I'd estimate it's good for an additional 5 or even 10#'s toward my total, and the weight just feels lighter when I unrack it. Today the pp didn't quite do it so I did a few quick pullups right before my second attempt and got it. (trick #2, maybe)

A consistent SP has resulted in 3 consecutive pr's on the CFT. I guess my only real issue with it is trying to figure out if I'm actually getting stronger in the SP (overall, I've had pr's in the DL and squat as well).

That, and I don't have any similar tricks to up my DL and squat; those I've just gotta hit.

Any thoughts? Or other tricks to share?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: CFT cheater?

Is doing a greater weight push press or doing pullups prior to a 1RM effort shoulder press a cheat if it helps you push more weight? No.

How about during a CFT? I dunno - but my guess would be yes.

Why? I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that the 1RM effort of each exercise in the CFT is acheived only after your normal warm up routine then a warm up of each exercise until you reach your 1RM efforts.

I also think the CFT exercises must be done in the proper order - back squat, shoulder press and dead lift - to be legit.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
John Schneider

Profile:

I don't know about that. Noone is judging your warmup sets to weight so if you perform a PP instead of a SP, I don't see a problem. Also, in between attempts, you can stretch, drink, eat whatever you want so I don't see why you couldn't do a few pull-ups if that helps you.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

The CFT takes the top attempt in the three lifts. Period. Your warmup is your warmup. You can juggle, eat cotton candy, or do chug beer before and between lifts.

PS Thanks for the tip! I always miss my first press attempt and hit my second--usually at the same or greater weight. Maybe this will help.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

okay - I guess I see all of y'alls point.

I just try to do the exercises as RX'd. Nothing fancy and nothing tricky. It makes no diff to me what y'all are doing.

If you mean "at the end of [your] warmup" as being still in your warm up, then whatever. But if your warm up is done, and then you push press it is your first failure - as a DQ.

Whatever floats your boat, guys.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Gant
But you must remember to do all of your juggling without leaving the gym. Once you leave the area, your CFT is over, regardless of how many tries you have left.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
okay - I guess I see all of y'alls point.

I just try to do the exercises as RX'd. Nothing fancy and nothing tricky. It makes no diff to me what y'all are doing.

If you mean "at the end of [your] warmup" as being still in your warm up, then whatever. But if your warm up is done, and then you push press it is your first failure - as a DQ.

Whatever floats your boat, guys.

This is where some quality control is needed. Most people select opening weights for their CFT by seeing how their heavy warmup sets feel. If you're approaching the CFT like a meet, then you're going to "announce" your opening attempts before you even start warming up.

The warm up period should be used for just that, warming up the muscles that prepare you to lift. In an oly meet, I spent a good deal of time on the C2 and pullup bar before formal warmup. If you want to push press to warm up for press, go for it. If you want to do cleans to warm up your dealift, that's ok, too.

Once the CFT starts, you get three cracks at each lift. If you push one of your presses, it is simply a miss, not a DQ, as you are not allowed to bend your knees (and a push press certainly does that). There are no restrictions on what you do in between attempts, so I supposed you could even squeeze in some reps there if you were so inclined (at the risk of tiring yourself out for other events).

What matters is how you're using the CFT. If you're using it to determine your max for the day, then you're probably selecting your openers based on your warmup. In this case your last couple singles may effectively be your first and second attempts, which is fine if you just want to see where your lifts are. But if you're approaching CFT like a meet, you should select your opening attempts before you lace up your shoes. Either way, your warmup is whatever you want to make of it.

Patrick, that's good advice. I went a little overboard one time and almost cost myself a PR in deadlift.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
You can juggle, eat cotton candy, or do chug beer before and between lifts.
You were a circus strongman, weren't you? I knew from the name...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
Damian Frank

Profile:

That is actually a good way to trick yourself mentally into lifting more than you think you can. For example Ive seen guys struggle to put up 315 on the bench so they put on 335, do a negative and get it up with a spot then shoot up 315 no problem. So Push pressing a little extra to get you ready for strict press probably gets your head right as much as your body.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
David Johnson

Profile:

All right, thanks everyone. Sean, I get what you're saying, and I think that's why I posted the question. I sort of felt strange getting a "free" extra 10# on my CFT.

However, now that I plan to do it regularly in my warmup, I'll be comparing with consistent methods. That doesn't mean I won't try to find other tricks to put on pounds in the future! In the end, the attempt either goes up, or it doesn't.

The main reason I'll keep doing it is that it psyches me up to be able to push bigger weights. Since doing the pp to increase my press, I've had CFT pr's in my squat and DL, too. Not sure it's cause/effect, but I can't imagine it's hurting me in any way.

Maybe I'll try some heavy walkouts on my squat warmup next CFT... I'll let you know how it goes. I don't have any powerlifting backgound, so I'll just make it up as I go. Thanks again!