CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #41
Christian Gotcher

Profile:
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

I've only been doing CF for two days now but I'd absolutely be willing to give up my eldest son for Coach... (sarcasm abounds) As for people declaring their allegiance first, it demonstrates they care about the movements and they're not trying to undermine anybody for their own agenda, so who cares?

As for the workout, it only matters if Coach is specifically designing these 3-day sets with a specific purpose in mind (metcon-strength-metcon, or strength-skill-strength). If you don't do the Crossfit mainpage WODs every day, like I don't, it doesn't matter at all.

If you do, it would help to have a general idea of what Coach is trying to accomplish, so at the very least, we can adapt the workout to meet those aims. Is Lynne supposed to be a metcon? For strength? Can it be flexible (one or the other) to meet the needs of the triplet? I agree with some of the earlier posting in this- use common sense. Did you do a metcon the day before? Than take breaks in between sets. Did you do a 3-rep shoulder press the day before? Spice up the pace, then, and take a few hits on numbers. It's your body, it should be your program.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #42
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
PS, don't tell me "well that's the way Brendan did it." Brendan also did it with his a$$ a foot off the bench. None of those reps counted, AFAIK. The WOD does not prescribe "decline bench press." Bench press requires butt and shoulders to maintain contact with the ground, and feet to maintain contact with the ground (Sorry, Nicole...)
Lynne, thank you for the clarification on the bench press. I was beginning to think that Brendan's method of BPing was the equivalent of a kipping pullup.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #43
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
True. In the grand scheme of things, probably no big deal. I think the issue is that those of us who do what we're supposed to do (read the FAQs and watch the official videos) have been led to think to do Lynne a certain way.

On a quality control vein, many of the official videos have editorial text that make comment on less-than-proper form. The example that comes to mind is a Greg A video doing cleans with Annie and not bringing the bar all the way up before dropping. The editorial text is clear that he's not doing it as correctly as possible and as he fatigues, the form improves and the associated textual commentary speaks on that. These editorial comments are helpful for those of us (who haven't been around since the beginning or aren't in the inner circle) as training guidance.

Would it make sense to have Brendan do another Lynne as rx'd or to overlay the existing video with additional textual commentary?

Again, in the grand scheme of things, no biggie. But for those of us who really want to do the WODs as coach prescribes, with faith that coach knows best, maybe more editorial oversight to point out less-than-perfect form would be helpful.

Thanks. Don't mean to stir the water any more. Just trying to learn and grow.

I'm with you here... the video demo section is actually the ONLY complaint I have about Crossfit so far. The videos meant to specifically teach a movement are generally excellent, but the video's of some of the crossfit "supermen" frequently display poor form. I understand that you're never going to have text-book form on every rep of every video when you're showing 2:30 fran times, but it those things should be noted.

Oh, and Lynne, thanks for chiming in.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #44
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lynne is a push-pull metcon in rounds like tabata or FGB uses since the pullups are immediately after the bench press. Therefore, I would say kipping pullups.

The pure strength workouts will be your 1-1-1s, 3-3-3s, 5-5-5s, CFT or whatever.

I randomly go to some affiliates, but I'm more or less solo (although I haven't been doing CF for a while since I've been doing strength).
Steven, what do you do for your strength work (in terms of exercises, protocols, etc.)? Starting Strength?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #45
Steven Low

Profile:

I've been doing cycles with rings and a pullup bar plus some weights I can add to my body. My knee, unfortunately, has been more or less out of commission so right now it's primarily upper body which kinda sucks since I was already upper body strong.

My log is here if you wanna check it out. Current cycles have been going on since mid-June (wfs):
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...opic.php?t=453