CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
Joey Powell

Profile:
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

rest as desired. Too much you cool down. Not enough you will drop significantly
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #22
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
Show me where it says so - it doesn't. Know why? Because it's not a requirement.
That's great news. I can't show you a specific place because there's not one. But it's nice that you threw us a bone and shed some light on this.

Until now, all I had to go on was the consensus of the forum and comments discussions every time this workout comes up; the similarity to Fitness Test I (wfs)(Ramp up to a one-rep max and within 30 seconds of racking the lift begin the pull-ups.); the fact that the numbers on the comments and logsitall reflect that people are doing it this way (otherwise workout would be way easier and the scores would be WAY higher); the surprise of everyone on this thread (people who have been around a while and seem to know their stuff); and, finally, yes, because that's the way Brendan did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Pitts View Post
PS, don't tell me "well that's the way Brendan did it."
Why not? Until you cleared this up, a big piece of what we had to go on was a workout done by a CFSC trainer, filmed in CrossFit headquarters, produced by a CrossFit affiliate, originally placed on the CF main page, and archived under "CrossFit Exercise Demos" (assuming that demo still means "a description or explanation, as of a process, illustrated by examples, specimens, or the like"). Please forgive our ignorance.

I never wrote that it was pure metcon. I said it was a special type of metcon and drew comparisons to pure metcon workouts. Maybe it's not intended to have any metcon effect at all, but any workout that prescribes five sets of max pullups is sure as hell going to feel like it. Or it may be that I'm just out of shape.

Please don't construe my tone as ungrateful. It's just irritating that a select few topics are endlessly debated on the forums and comments when they can easily be cleared up.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 01-17-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #23
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
yeah... what he said!

And why didn't you chime in earlier!?

:running and hiding:

Some of us have to work for a living....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
That's great news. I can't show you a specific place because there's not one. But it's nice that you threw us a bone and shed some light on this.
See the FAQ. The workout descriptions are VERY LITERAL. If it doesn't say for time, it's not for time. If it doesn't say "without rest" it's not without rest. The WOD has been around for 4 years; only in the last 6 months has the idea of "no rest" been injected.

If stating the obvious is "throwing you a bone," then woof.

Quote:
Until now, all I had to go on was the consensus of the forum and comments discussions every time this workout comes up; the similarity to Fitness Test I (wfs)(Ramp up to a one-rep max and within 30 seconds of racking the lift begin the pull-ups.); the fact that the numbers on the comments and logsitall reflect that people are doing it this way (otherwise workout would be way easier and the scores would be WAY higher); the surprise of everyone on this thread (people who have been around a while and seem to know their stuff); and, finally, yes, because that's the way Brendan did it.
Last time this came up, "Esteban" emailed me, I provided the same explanation, and he posted it on the WOD comments. So it's been clarified before.

Quote:
Please don't construe my tone as ungrateful. It's just irritating that a select few topics are endlessly debated on the forums and comments when they can easily be cleared up.
And they have been, more than once. Sorry you missed it.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 01-18-2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: late-night grouchiness
Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
Steven Low

Profile:

Ah, after thinking about it some more I can see why it's the way Lynne described it.. although clarification in the FAQ probably would've been nice(r).

Went over the FAQ again and looking for specific indicators mainly "for time" which all of the metcons have (or tabatas for that matter). Any of the workouts that don't have "for time" tend to be more strength geared workouts like CFT and apparently Lynne as well. So there you go. Rest as much as you want (probably 3-7 minutes) between each set.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:41 AM   #26
Brandon Oto

Profile:

So now I'm wondering what the purpose of Lynne actually is? It seems like a strange twist if it's a strength-building workout. (That is, it's a protocol for strength we otherwise never use.)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #27
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I don't know what the purpose would be, either. Once you get past a certain point, it's not a strength workout at all. It's a shame because the max bench-pullup combo crushed me as bad as Linda. It will also change the competitive flavor of this since (I suspect) most people were doing the "old Lynne." I'll do it with breaks next time and see how it goes.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 01-18-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #28
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Folks, it's only a workout!

I've done this workout with many variations over the years - center point suspended pullups, strict pullups, kipping pullups, ring pullups, ring dips, bench, no rest, rest only after a couplet, etc....and I've had a great workout regardless. It doesn't matter. Pick the way you want to do it, keep accurate records and try to better what you did the time before.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #29
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Folks, it's only a workout!
True. In the grand scheme of things, probably no big deal. I think the issue is that those of us who do what we're supposed to do (read the FAQs and watch the official videos) have been led to think to do Lynne a certain way.

On a quality control vein, many of the official videos have editorial text that make comment on less-than-proper form. The example that comes to mind is a Greg A video doing cleans with Annie and not bringing the bar all the way up before dropping. The editorial text is clear that he's not doing it as correctly as possible and as he fatigues, the form improves and the associated textual commentary speaks on that. These editorial comments are helpful for those of us (who haven't been around since the beginning or aren't in the inner circle) as training guidance.

Would it make sense to have Brendan do another Lynne as rx'd or to overlay the existing video with additional textual commentary?

Again, in the grand scheme of things, no biggie. But for those of us who really want to do the WODs as coach prescribes, with faith that coach knows best, maybe more editorial oversight to point out less-than-perfect form would be helpful.

Thanks. Don't mean to stir the water any more. Just trying to learn and grow.

Last edited by Wade Smith : 01-18-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: punctuation fix for clarification
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #30
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
True. In the grand scheme of things, probably no big deal. I think the issue is that those of us who do what we're supposed to do (read the FAQs and watch the official videos) have been led to think to do Lynne a certain way.

On a quality control vein, many of the official videos have editorial text that make comment on less-than-proper form. The example that comes to mind is a Greg A video doing cleans with Annie and not bringing the bar all the way up before dropping. The editorial text is clear that he's not doing it as correctly as possible and as he fatigues, the form improves and the associated textual commentary speaks on that. These editorial comments are helpful for those of us (who haven't been around since the beginning or aren't in the inner circle) as training guidance.

Would it make sense to have Brendan do another Lynne as rx'd or to overlay the existing video with additional textual commentary?

Again, in the grand scheme of things, no biggie. But for those of us who really want to do the WODs as coach prescribes, with faith that coach knows best, maybe more editorial oversight to point out less-than-perfect form would be helpful.

Thanks. Don't mean to stir the water any more. Just trying to learn and grow.
+1
Well said.
That is what I was alluding to earlier.