CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Taubea Funded Study Actually Disproves Carb-Insulin Hypothesis

In an effort to prove the carb-insulin hypothesis that Gary Taubes and others tout, they funded a study in a metabolic ward that ended up going against their hypothesis. A good breakdown is below

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-up_6.html?m=1 (Wfs)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:
Re: Taubea Funded Study Actually Disproves Carb-Insulin Hypothesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
In an effort to prove the carb-insulin hypothesis that Gary Taubes and others tout, they funded a study in a metabolic ward that ended up going against their hypothesis. A good breakdown is below

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-up_6.html?m=1 (Wfs)
Interesting.
As any radical fat loss model out there, the Gary Taubes hypothesis is too extreme to be accurate.
Kcal does not matter ?!? At all ?!?
It doesn’t make any sense.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Copied from Ludwing:

Quote:
First, this was a PILOT study, not designed for precise estimates of effect size. That any statistically significant difference in energy expenditure was found at all with such limited power represents a remarkable refutation of the null hypothesis (that all calories are alike).

Second, the non-randomized design would almost certainly have introduced bias against the second diet, which in this case was the low carbohydrate diet. Please see my recent rebuttal to Hall's abstract, which very much pertains to the final paper http://*******/1TDKDWI
Full URL as short does not work: https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/de...257#.d10t1amg2

EDIT: cannot paste short URLs?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Zealots gonna zealot
Old 07-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

To throw in my personal experience I started logging food just over two weeks ago. I've never worked on my diet before, but I figured it was time to try.

I use myfitnesspal to log everything. My first observation of my own diet was way too much fat, and not enough protein and carbs. My first day of logging was 46/32/22 percentages for fat/carb/protein. I immediately changed a few things and now everyday is basically 37/38/25. So I'm not high carb or high fat. Just eat real food, but I do try to keep balance. I've been keeping my daily limit to 3450 a day with most days going up to 100 cals over.

In two weeks, with the use of the classic picture taking progress measurement FDA approved method my waist has slimmed down while overall I have gained a few pounds according to the scale. And I am by no means fat to begin with. My stomach went from protruding maybe an inch past my chest to flat in line with my chest and my ab lines are showing a bit stronger now.

During this time I had pizza, gelato, pasta and a good amount of bread. I just worked them in to my daily goals.

I dunno... it's not complicated. And my measuring science isn't perfect either. We don't even have a scale to weigh on, everything is done with measuring cups so I know it's not exact. The claim in that article that even a difference of 100cal can lead to obesity is outlandish. Everyone knows measuring isn't exact, and calculators are not great for everyone. That's why you start at a base level and reassess every couple of weeks. Myfitnesspal seems to assess me too low. Someone else probably too high. Who cares, just use your brain.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

btw, this "study" is a just an intro one...more will follow real soon.

Stay tuned