CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
Jose Soriano

Profile:
Re: Progenex fails to meet label claims.

I was wondering the same a couple days back, but wasn't sure about the rules asking about bans. It does seem weird, tho, it's not like he was constantly bombarding the boards with links to his product. Most of the time people would ask for a protein and somebody else would point them at aln,THEN he'd pop up to answer questions.

The closest thing I saw was (cuz I was trying to figure it out) was in this thread where he said there's better products on the market, alluding to his own, and one back 2 months ago where he mentioned an athlete used his product.

Honestly, if THAT'S why he got banned, that is a shame, cuz for all the "functional training" bull, nutrition preaching and paleo cult-washing that goes on in the CF community, here's one product that was ACTUALLY GOOD, created by a dude who knew what he was doing, participated in the community, and helped educate in every aspect of health and fitness, and on multiple occasions clarified that no product was magic, including his own, and that it's all just stuff to supplement good diet and training.

Even if he killed puppies on the weekends, he was a better and more honest corporate shill than half the crap with the CF name on it.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #22
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

A lot had to do with issue his company had when a vendor caused issues and complaints came here and complained to CFT. It earned a lot of headaches as after that many people complain about everything he posted afyer that.

Then they started enforcing the don't promote your own stuff. Few more hand slaps when somebody would talk about his company and he would talk about it

Eventually it appears they just got tired of it / him. I still use his products but tread lightly here.

In the end I spend less time here and more in the real world
Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #23
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
A lot had to do with issue his company had when a vendor caused issues and complaints came here and complained to CFT. It earned a lot of headaches as after that many people complain about everything he posted afyer that.

Then they started enforcing the don't promote your own stuff. Few more hand slaps when somebody would talk about his company and he would talk about it

Eventually it appears they just got tired of it / him. I still use his products but tread lightly here.

In the end I spend less time here and more in the real world

It seems like we're all going to be forced to spend more time in the real world if everyone keeps getting banned!

I enjoy getting on here to see what people have to say about their training, the Games, new equipment, etc. but it seems like fewer and fewer people are on here. It's weird to be me because Crossfit has never been more popular! I certainly hope it picks up steam and people join in on the discussion as opposed to looking and leaving as a guest. Just my .02
Old 06-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #24
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm back . It was only a temporary ban. If it was for the article link I didn't realize they considered that promoting as I had done it many times and it had never been mentioned as being an issue.

The whole thing is too bad really. I mention my company when I do because I believe I sell a good product. I don't think I shill nor SPAM the boards and I do think I have provided as much, or more valuable content than just about anyone here.

Anyway, I will do my best to behave on that front.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Glad you are back - I've always found your input to add value.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #26
Dylan Farr

Profile:

It seems the marker they look for indicating the protein values is attache to a derivative of nitrogen. So that added something to the effect of nitric oxide I believe. Which is far cheaper then protein/whey. I think its disgusting whether PRGNX or muscle pharm, et al gets caught. I have friends who work for both and despite that will not give either a single cent. We are by consensus most positively motivated customers out there, and to short us is very dumb business. Totally contrary too...#hint Dear supplement companies: Google virtuosity. Quit ripping us off, playing us out and respect the community that you lean so hard on. Seriously.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #27
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Is there evidence against Muscle Pharm too? I currently buy their combat protein powder because they sell it at Costco. Been looking for a change anyways though, a year ago it was 40 bucks for a tub, it's climbed up to 55 since then.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #28
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

MusclePharm is among the companies named in the recent class action amino spiking lawsuits. They have also come under fire for fraudulent use of NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certification markings on their product packaging.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Steve Agocs

Profile:

The other part of the problem is that coaches, owners, etc get discounts from a lot of these companies, so there is certainly a pay-to-play attitude in a LOT of CrossFit boxes. Clients think they are being recommended the best products, but it could be that there is an awesome discount and freebies involved.

I once watched this exchange happen right in from of me at a big high-end box in Colorado:

Paleo food company: Hi, we're here to set up for this event.

Manager/Coach: Awesome! Hi, I'm so and so and I basically run this place.

[exchange of pleasantries]

Manager/Coach: We don't really have a paleo recommendation for athletes right now.

Company: I'd be happy to hook you up with free lunches and dinners every week if we can be your exclusive recommendation.

Coach/manager: Sounds great!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #30
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Is there evidence against Muscle Pharm too? I currently buy their combat protein powder because they sell it at Costco. Been looking for a change anyways though, a year ago it was 40 bucks for a tub, it's climbed up to 55 since then.
It doesn't matter which protein supplement you use in the context of a mixed diet where minor variations in amino acid content will be compensated for by other foods. So the only real considerations when choosing a supplement are price, flavour, and the purity of the product. Also, it's worth remembering that most people in the developed world get more protein than they need from their diet and additional protein, whether from food or supplements, has no anabolic or ergogenic effect beyond being an additional source of calories.