CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Joshua Pierce

Profile:
Straight barbell curls

I have started browsing these forums again, and I noticed a lot of people saying how worthless bicep curls are.

I just wanted to throw this out there - what about really heavy bicep curls? "Cheat curls" to be specific. I do them on my deadlift days at the end of my workout, heavy, and low reps (8x3).
I feel it to be a very beneficial workout to anyone looking to improve strength for BW exercises, core strength, and others. I can do 3 pullups at 280lbs, which I think is impressive.

Opinions?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Straight barbell curls

A lot of the curl bashing that goes on around here is just ignorant wannabe elitism. Just like it was fashionable to not do bench presses for a while because they weren't "functional."

Some curls, especially fat bar ones, can be a great assistance exercise for various things. - But they need to be treated as such, isolation assistance exercises.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon : 11-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

The dislike of anything on the forum seems to be a result of the average gym idiots overuse/dependence on given subject

When talking to the average person, I tell them to not do bicep curls, shrugs, bench (with exceptions), bent rows, rack pulls, belts, you name it. Basically everything not prescribed by Crossfit.

When talking to a strong person or other athlete, I either let them do as they wish (if they surpass me) and take their advice. Or I tell them what I do and give suggestions. Personally I have no problem with any of those things.

I do those, but after I hit the major lifts
Old 11-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I do them at least one day a week. I don't make them a major part of the workout though.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
I have started browsing these forums again, and I noticed a lot of people saying how worthless bicep curls are.

I just wanted to throw this out there - what about really heavy bicep curls? "Cheat curls" to be specific. I do them on my deadlift days at the end of my workout, heavy, and low reps (8x3).
I feel it to be a very beneficial workout to anyone looking to improve strength for BW exercises, core strength, and others. I can do 3 pullups at 280lbs, which I think is impressive.

Opinions?
Typically, there are better ways to utilize the biceps. Weighted chin-ups are a great compound movement that utilize not only the arms, but a majority of the back as well. If you asked me which was more beneficial for the average CFer, gym rat, powerlifter, etc, I'd say weighted chin-ups. Sure, curls are good especially for improving tendon strength (and reduce likelihood of injury on mixed grip deadlift), but weighted chins do a good job of that as well.

Every time I think of doing curls, I do weighted chins... It has helped my pull-ups (kipping and non-kipping) and obviously, my max pulling strength.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Bicep curls are an acceptable exercise, but people here often don't do them and because they want to stridently separate themselves from people who curl way too much. The attitude is that I don't want anyone confusing me with some jersey shore reject who works out to have "gunz" and beach muscles.

Unfortunately, this attitude means that an overrated exercise gets dropped completely, rather than more properly maintaining it in one's routine, simply at a much lower priority level.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Joshua Pierce

Profile:

Im working on weighted chins. At 280lbs, I can do 3 single BW chins, but until then, curls for me.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Ryan Green

Profile:

I like curls. I don't do them very often... maybe a few times a year. When I do, I do reverse grip curls, mainly to help my grip/forearm strength.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
Are you looking to work out your biceps, or lower back?

Justin
Old 11-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Thomas Green

Profile:

What are your goals? Are you training to get better at CrossFit? To be stronger? To look better?