CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
...ever beneficial? I know there's the talk that they can inhibit running, jumping, etc.. But, are there any situations where they might prove to benefit an athlete? Just shooting off the hip with this one.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Any athlete who doesn't need to run or jump ;) You could argue that cyclists don't need that flexibility, but I think having it would still be an advantage.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
I guess where I thought about it was something more like in boxing, or even gymnastics when performing an l-sit.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I'd think tight hip flexors would hinder a gymnast quite a bit, but I don't know for sure.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Gymnasts need good contraction of the hip flexors (think stalders/endos on high bar as well as L and V-seats), but also need them to be loose so they can tumble/get a good set for flipping out of back handsprings. There is a difference.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Brian Hand

Profile:

Tightness in the hip flexors doesn't equal strong hip flexion. Tightness is a limitation, it generally has NO benefits. (This is the third or fourth time I've heard tightness mentioned as a potential benefit lately, was this in an article or something? If so I'm skeptical.)

Hip flexor tightness in particular tends to foul up the biomechanics of your pelvis / lower spine, so even if you aren't doing something that involves powerful hip extention, it is a bad thing. Tight hip flexors interfere with good posture, making standing around a bit of a chore.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I have seen no case where limitations in flexibility have been of benifit in any gymnastics skill. If you are using the limit of a ROM to hold a strength skill you run a large risk of injury, possibly severe.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Dan Richter

Profile:  
First time poster, long time cyclist.

hip flexors and hammys get pretty tight from cycling which of course effects flexibility and makes one prone to injury. This is an issue for cyclist, or at least semi-serious cyclist, and I tend to work on it regularly. I can't see tightness ever being a good thing.

Dan
Old 12-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I personally hold to the belief that every athlete should be as flexible as possible (assuming of course that they are able to produce stength in the full ROM). Tight anything is more likely to lead to an injury at some point.
Also given that stretching can both aid recovery times as well as injury-proof the body, I think everyone should be doing them daily... exercise or not.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Tight hip flexors never help. The tighter they are, the less potential force generation they have. Tight hip flexors also tend to cause compensatory tension in opposing and surrounding muscles, resulting in hips that are generally tight in most directions/positions.

I've worked hard to release long-held tension in my hip flexors (a result of an old injury). I have achieved new personal bests each time my hip flexors finally concede another chunk of that tension. I'm now able to do stuff I could scarcely attempt just 6 months ago.

If you are looking for a way to feel better about having tight hip flexors, sorry. I can't think of a single advantage that provides.