CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Carl Mankiewicz

Profile:
Minimalist shoes

Just curious what the CF community's thoughts are on the minimalist footwear phenom. I've gone back and forth in the past few years, and given CFs propensity for proper form, I was curious where the community generally stands.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Lan Halbert

Profile:
Re: Minimalist shoes

The phenom IMO is the need for fancier & fluffier soles, soles with hard rubber shocks at the heels, zig zagged soles, etc. I can't help but laugh at some the shoes that are marketed for the hard core athlete today.

I train barefoot when/where ever I'm allowed & when it's practical to do so. That being said my opinion is favorable regarding minimalist shoes not only for fitness training but for every occasion under the sun.

FYI - I'm a big fan of the New Balance Minimus line and the Vibrams 5 finger.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

I have Vibram 5 fingers and wear them all the time in the summer. I love em, just dont wear em other times because i dont wear socks with em. For everyday i wear my Nanos, i like minimalist shoes just because theyre more comfortable for me personally. The only drawback is running, i LOVE my nanos but i dont run more than 400m in them because its rough on my knees. Granted my form is probably far from perfect, but still. When i run longer now, i wear Nike Frees which are still considered less than "normal" shoes.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Bryan Hood

Profile:

The big thing to take into consideration is alignment of knees and ankles, especially when lifting heavy. I have super flat feet, so I supinate pretty bad. I like flat soled shoes because I'm more grounded and the squishy shoes tend to steal some power. That's why lifting shoes are solid sole and lifting should be done are a hard surface. To maximize power transfer. All that being said, I'm aware of my alignment and role my feet outward to ensure proper alignment (toes out/knees out). Think internal/external rotation of Tibia (valgus). I've had 2 knee surgeries this past year on the same knee. I got injured overseas. So all this scientific stuff is important to me and my rehab. I'm a barefoot runner and will wear 5 Fingers when on sketchy terrain to protect my feet. Proper running form is key. If you're a heal striker, you won't dig minimalist shoes. If you run properly, mid-foot to fore foot, minimalist shoes are great! In conclusion...I dig NB Minimus.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Matthew Hutson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Mankiewicz View Post
Just curious what the CF community's thoughts are on the minimalist footwear phenom. I've gone back and forth in the past few years, and given CFs propensity for proper form, I was curious where the community generally stands.
As noted above, if you run properly in the minimalist shoes they are great. I like the Inov-8 Bare-XF 210. It's designed for CF, zero differential height, and has plenty of room in the toe box.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Joey Allen

Profile:

I absolutely love my New Balance Minimus Road Zeros. I think they have been discontinued, but I may scoop up some closeouts. I used the Vibram Five Finger Bikila before that, but they were a bit rough on longer runs (4 miles +) for me.. plus dealing with toe socks got old.

Last edited by Joey Allen; 06-25-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Ben McDonald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
I absolutely love my New Balance Minimus Road Zeros. I think they have been discontinued, but I may scoop up some closeouts. I used the Vibram Five Finger Bikila before that, but they were a bit rough on longer runs (4 miles +) for me.. plus dealing with toe socks got old.
Not discontinued, just changed colors (wfs) . And they are getting the V2 treatment sometime late this year or early next year, too; a photo just showed up in a trade publication last week, though no other info is available yet.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Christopher Walls

Profile:

I'm a huge fan of the minimalist shoes. I'm currently using Nike Free Run 2 and I love them. I wouldn't suggest them to new runners (mostly heel strikers) but after lower leg conditioning, learning the mid/front foot running form, etc. minimalist is the way to go.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben McDonald View Post
Not discontinued, just changed colors (wfs) . And they are getting the V2 treatment sometime late this year or early next year, too; a photo just showed up in a trade publication last week, though no other info is available yet.
Ahh, good to know. Thanks Ben. I hope they don't change much in the next version.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
John Holcombe

Profile:

I used to wear vibram 5 fingers when they first came out. They were ok, but I definitely didn't feel that comfortable running in them and they always smelled pretty bad a few wearings after a wash. I got new balance minimus shoes next and I like them so much more. They still have the minimalist feel and they are super light but give you way more support