CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Dawn Hanson

Profile:
Does anybody know what a V-Up is?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Tom Whalen

Profile:
Sure, here's a good description and gif:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nis/WtVUp.html

work-safe,etc. Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Interesting take on that exercise (looking at a pic of a woman holding a med ball while doing it) from DeVany:

http://www.arthurdevany.com/ (link safe maybe..depends on comments)
Kettleballs and a Dumb Exercise
November 29, 2006 11:32 AM

Do this exercise at your peril. I would never do it.

Dr. McGill's research shows that this exercise puts a load on your spine that is above any of the loads his lab calculated, and the highest of these were almost surely damaging.

This is the exercise that hurt Wonder Woman. Look at the long levers sending their loads directly into the spine. Add the weight of the ball and wonder why anyone thinks this is good for you. As McGill says, most exercises that are done to protect the spine damage it.

I do have some concerns about the spinal loads of some of the loaded reaching movements used by Kettleballers. Remember, the spine must compress to keep the stack of disks from slipping. Compression combined with flexion is the surest mechanism McGill found for producing disk herniation.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
McGill hates alot of common crossfit exercises: rowing, straight-legged situps, etc. I'm sure his head would explode if he watched the "snakey" back extension. Doesn't stop me from doing them
Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
V-ups are a core component of virtually every gymnastics training program worldwide. If you are properly conditioned enough to do them they will not cause problems. I've been doing them aggressively for 20 years, weighted and otherwise. I know very few gymnasts with back problems later in life. Again, I'd go with the empirical evidence here. I would agree that this done by someone with weak abs should not be done as they will be unable to properly position their pelvis during the movement which will dramatically increase the load on the lower back...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
I agree with Roger. We began doing them in gymnastics when I was in Junior High School. (mid-60's). I never stopped doing them.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Kevin Richards

Profile:
Could you explain what the proper pelvic position is and how you know you are holding it?

I find it hard to do these with regard to position and movement of my rear end on the floor resulting in positional changes and back discomfort.

Also with regard to v-sits is it better to train them on paralletes?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Can you do hollow rocks without a thump? Of course this is actually tougher for folks with good squats because their glutes are developed enough to stick out a bit. Really tighten your abs so your pelvis rotates under. Completely opposite the pelvic positioning for a squat. Completely rounded lower back.

V-sits are a bit easier on parallettes because you can grip a bit and really lean it back. On the floor you're more prone to fall over backwards as the V gets high.

(Message edited by rogair on December 21, 2006)