CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Martial Arts Conditioning in Film

As I watched Never Back Down on DVD with some of my relatives recently my cousin asked me about the conditioning routines shown in the movie. Just to give her some perspective I pointed out the functional nature of the workouts in this video clip (w/f/s) done by Sean Feris' character. It's kind of CrossFit-esque but definitely in the HIIT arena of conditioning.

I later google searched the training for the movie Never Back Down and saw the training undergone by Cam Gigandet's character (w/f/s) on E-How.com. The latter routine had some globo elements to it (use of machines and such) and I thought it looked a tad suspect. I wonder what opinions some have about the two routines.

My personal opinion as a Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner is the following: the former routine definitely appeared to be a lot more functional than the one featured on E-How.

Last edited by Carl Amolat; 12-25-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: Martial Arts Conditioning in Film

Well, the bench press with what appeared to be chains attached was done all wrong. And the woman doing laundry didn't look very tired. But it's a decent depiction, considering the cheesy nature of movie-land and all.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

The circuit in the movie would have been better without the half-squats. And also, I find it funny that he looked like he was using a 12kg KB in the beginning of the training montage.

The training of the stars won't necessarily reflect the training of the athletes they portray. Remember, they're training to be pretty, and to look like they fight- not necessarily to actually fight long, hard rounds, sustaining heavy damage each shot. For one thing, how low they wear their shorts annoys me. I wouldn't be comfortable fighting with shorts sitting just above my groin.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

I'll second that. But hey, at least they're not sagging their skinny jeans.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Not sure if this video has been posted around here before, but here's a clip of Scott Adkins training for the lead role in the film Undisputed 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu_LXME510

A much more worthwhile means of training, in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Pearce: Definitely looks like an intense and legit way to train for combatives. I am wary of using films to influence my training in any fashion but the stuff in Never Back Down to my admittedly amateur eyes looked quite CrossFit-esque and so drew my interest as a neophyte CrossFitter.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Not sure if this video has been posted around here before, but here's a clip of Scott Adkins training for the lead role in the film Undisputed 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu_LXME510

A much more worthwhile means of training, in my opinion.
I like it
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Pearce: Definitely looks like an intense and legit way to train for combatives. I am wary of using films to influence my training in any fashion but the stuff in Never Back Down to my admittedly amateur eyes looked quite CrossFit-esque and so drew my interest as a neophyte CrossFitter.
Crossfit isn't the only type of circuit or high-intensity interval training out there... Just sayin'.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Crossfit isn't the only type of circuit or high-intensity interval training out there... Just sayin'.
I've said for a long time now: wrestlers were doing CrossFit before there was CrossFit.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Omar Omar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
The latter routine had some globo elements to it (use of machines and such) and I thought it looked a tad suspect. the former routine definitely appeared to be a lot more functional than the one featured on E-How.

What is functional for some people is not for others!

Doing deadlifts is not as functional to a swimmer as they are for a cross fitter; this should be obvious.

I cannot say that doing something like “bicep curls” is not functional, even for an elite crossfitter, if someone stalls at 28 strict pullups for a period of 4-5 months and then ends up trying to add bicep curls three times a week to their workouts and find that their pullups had gone up, then those bicep curls were indeed very functional.

The real question is, do you want to train for the physique the people in the movie had or for actual fitness?

Training to look good is one thing, but training to actually fight is completely different, although all training is better than nothing, and every thing you do to train carries over (i.e. training to look good will also make you fit) the people in the movie only needed to look good, they did not train to actually fight for long!

If you want to train to actually fight, I think crossfit is good, although it is not specialized, it is good places to start… perhaps try OPT programming…