CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Elfrieth Sonny Rodriguez

Profile:
HELP!!! cant stay away from SUGAR/CARBS

Ok heres the problem, I can actually pull off almost a full day on the paleo diet but then at around 11pm I get this INSANE craving for sugar and carbs and I just gorge down everything in my path thats not paleo, so if anybody has any advise on how to stay on the paleo diet effectively PLEASE HELP.

Sonny r.

thax guys
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Emily Ciccarella

Profile:
Re: HELP!!! cant stay away from SUGAR/CARBS

I have been having problems with my diet for years. Honestly everyone's body works differently. Some people may be better off cold turkey while others need to slowly ween off things. You need to find which method is best for you and adjust yourself accordingly.

If you're like me you'll hate anything anyone says about cutting them out, because at least for me i always want to hear "it's ok to cheat / have them once in a while etc.." but it really depends on what YOU want. what are you trying to accomplish by staying away from carbs / sugar? are you trying to get lean? become more healthy? increase wod times? Is this a life-long change or temporary diet? your reasoning will ultimately be the motivation behind your success.

Maybe it’ll give you some encouragement to know that I was the biggest carb-eater alive. I couldn’t go a day without bread, and every day I would have oatmeal, granola and granola bars, and pasta or rice. Oh and Chocolate was like a drug to me. I found that you literally have to let yourself withdraw l from these things, I could not handle cutting them out completely but by slowly decreasing the amount of carbs I ate each week I am now able to be almost 100% independent off starches , and I am still working on avoiding chocolate.

Also, I tend to excuse myself from diets around the holidays, family gatherings, and when I go out to eat. But when you think about it, holidays can be several days long in duration and there are enough social gatherings to last a lifetime, so by “excusing” myself I am not even implementing a healthy eating plan to begin with. Try to avoid these things or bring food/eat before going out.

I find that it's best to associate negative things with whatever it is you're trying to avoid. for example, if i see cookies, naturally I'll grab one and shove it down my throat without thinking twice, but now since I want to decrease my body fat I've changed my way of thinking. I tell myself "That is going to clog my arteries" or "That is going to turn into love handles" or "That has no nutritional value, but this rich, green, nutritious salad here does." Catch my drift?

Feel free to ask me any more questions. I empathize with anyone struggling in this area....it's a hard habit to overcome. Good luck

Last edited by Emily Ciccarella; 12-11-2009 at 04:31 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

DOn't buy non paleo stuff. You won't have it in the house and won't eat it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Are you eating enough in general? Hunger makes it harder to say no to any craving. People who dump carbs without replacing them can end up with a big calorie deficit without meaning to.

Katherine
Old 12-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

This thread is making me go get ice cream right now!!!!

But on a serious note, drop off junk food and anything that causes sugar cravings(grains) for at least a month. I only cut out the junk food for 7 weeks, and while it was hard the first month, I didn't get any sugar cravings after that(only stopped bc of Thanksgiving, going back on it next year). Just be disciplined and as time passes, it gets easier.

Last edited by Aaron Gainer; 12-11-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
Richard Furr

Profile:

Been there. Done that. If you want to eliminate cravings, eliminate carbs.

Go low carb-paleo. Go easy on fruit and nuts and keep carbs below 30g/day. Do not deviate. If you get a craving, eat as much protein and fat as you want until it goes away.

It may take 2-4 weeks of struggling to break the addiction and adapt to fat, but once you've adapted, it's an easy ride.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
Joe Dagen

Profile:

My two cents:

First, you need to eat. I am constantly amazed how much food I go through. I'm 165 lbs. and have been pretty much paleo for the last year. Without question I am my strongest and leanest when eating the most food (clean food, though - free range meat, good veggies, nuts, seeds, etc). I believed the "eat less to lose weight" mantra for many years so I still find it hard to shovel in food, but you gotta do it. Eat.

Second, you should give some thought to why you want to avoid sugar/carbs. Really, think about the outcomes you're looking for and get in touch with why those are important to you. Do you want to impress someone? Do you want to look "good" in certain clothes or without clothes on? Do you want to be healthy enough to watch your kids or grandkids grow up? There is something in your desire to avoid sugar/carbs that is worth exploring. Be honest with yourself, figure out what those reasons are, and armed with an honest evaluation of why you want what you want, evaluate your choices moment to moment. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers to why you find value in eating a certain way - it's simply important to get in touch with those reasons in an honest way.

One caveat here is that if you eat something non-paleo, that doesn't mean you either failed, are weak, should quit, or any other "typical" thing. It simply means that in that moment, you chose to act in a way that didn't align with the direction you wanted to go as chosen in the paragraph above. It happens. But guess what? In 30 minutes or 2 hours you're going to need to eat again. The question will be: in that moment (which is now THIS moment), what do you want to put in your body that moves you in the direction you've chosen?

So ultimately I guess my advice is to get in touch with your reasons for wanting to eat a certain way, own those reasons, carry them with you in the sense of using them to guide your feet, and eat a whole lot of food.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Sugar for me was an interesting one. I went cold turkey and I remember being really amped up all the time when I was going through withdrawls. But as I keep going, I just prefer not to have sugar, it doesn't make me feel well so I avoid it. As I continue crossfit and eating healthy (crossfit 2 years and zone/paleo another year and a half) my body tells me what not to put in it and it becomes easier to avoid carbs/sugars because of the negative reaction I get.

For example, I use to reward myself with sweets, any good diet must have some sort of reward. Now I can easily turn down sugar soley because I don't like the way it makes me feel afterwards but thats just me. Just keep doing what your doing.

Healthy active lifestyle is the way to go, things will fine tune as you progress.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Pat Dimitri

Profile:

This is a huge part of why we have an obesity epidemic.. it's not easy to change habits that have been ingrained for years. Yes probably satiating yourself with more fats will solve this problem immediately.. but there's also a huge mental factor.

You gotta look at that food your binging on, recognize it as the processed poison that it is and acknowledge that those tiny gingerbread men (or whatever hah) are standing between you and your goals.

If it were easy then everyone would be in shape. Luckily it's a little easier when there's a huge community of people doing the same things as you.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Mike Sawley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
DOn't buy non paleo stuff. You won't have it in the house and won't eat it.
I agree with Jamie, keep only decent fall-off-the-wagon options around for when that happens.

Another trick that works [sometimes] for me is to pound a quart of water. It doesn't satisfy the cravings but it undermines them by making you feel stuffed.