CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Darren Zega

Profile:  
I'm planning on making CF my platoon's PT standard coming up in August but it might not be very long lived. There's an old, VERY stubborn O-6 that needs to be convinced that CrossFit is the best program for PT if I really want it to get off the ground. To help sway him I wanted to ask if anyone out there has any reports or data with their own on unit’s fitness standards after switching to CF? He's the type who lives and dies by numbers and statistics so I was hoping someone’s got a memo or something documenting an increase in PT scores after switching to CF PT. I’ve already slipped my SGM the CrossFit Insurgency journal article, so I’ll see how that boils over, but if any of you could help me out any way, I’d be really appreciative.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Ryan Long

Profile:
I can't believe you have an O6 that is worried about how you do PT. That isn't his job and if that's what he is focused on than he's probably not doing his job. Ask for 3 months to show progress. Do the 1:1:1 assessment and then go from there. Have him do Murph with you and then laugh when he pukes on himself!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  
He spent nearly his entire career in TRADOC. You know the type, he tries to micromanage the entire batallion.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Todd Angel

Profile:
I would use the obvious. Crossfit more closely replicates on a daily basis what we do in harms way. the ability to do the most work (with out rest)whether it be climbing over walls, up steps, into/out of Strykers carrying heavy loads, while reacting to contact or taking it to the insurgent *** holes. That is what we do. If he needs an Army feel to it, use rucksacks/ammo cans/large rocks as weighted implements. Do the WOD in boots and utes wearing IBA's and call it something else if you want. Undoubtedly it is the best way to go.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #5
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:
I'm guessing you're in the Army. Ask him how running 40 minutes and doing push-ups and sit-ups helps you ruck, kick in doors, and scale city walls. He might reply that doing those inane overhead claps the Army does incessantly helps.

Anyway, I'd say to do a comparison. Take your unit's baseline PT scores and compare them after your next PT test. I've never heard of any studies done in the US, but you might be on to something. If you can show an across-the-board increase in PT scores, you could have a persuasive case to change your whole battalion's PT.

There was some sort of piece on the CrossFit main page about the Marines trying to adopt something along the lines of CrossFit. Do a search for it around Dec. 2006, I think. I'm not sure, but I think it was around that time.

Anyway, I agree that you should describe some of the workouts and show times from the website. Murph is pretty PFT-esque. If you show times of people on the comments page, that might persuade him a little.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
I don't have anything Army specific but I do have 2 sets of documents:

1. Functional Fitness Concept document from the Marine Corps Combat Development Command. Good info but no numbers.

2. Results from Orange County Fire Academy recruit training. Fitness testing before and after. Lots of numbers but not Army specific.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
John McBrien

Profile:
Hah, at first Zega I thought you were talking about your O6 at your new unit then I remembered you'd be around for a 5th year. That sounds like typical St. Jean to me - especially the micromanaging bit.

I would talk to CF HQ - I think they'd be willing to help. I know that a lot of agencies, etc. have had their results independently verified, maybe consider that. Perhaps he would be willing to implement CF if you and several other of the O1s verified your own results. Also possibly consider having the Ranger Company PT platoon use CF and then show their results to him. That way he can see how the results affected a small group. If he doesn't like it, it doesn't really affect the entire battalion.

Another idea? Recommend using CF for supplemental PT. When the supplementals start beating those who are already passing maybe he'll catch on.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
The only hard #s I've seen are the canadian army study, which was covered in CFJ 41. Coach has the written report and a power point presentation from the canadians on digits. I'm sure he'd send you a copy if you e-mail him from a .mil address.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
What the heck is a Colonel doing worrying about a platoon's PT? Were I you, I would find out what this guy's goal is. Does he want to get some stars someday? Is he scared of getting passed up for promotion and so he makes sure he leaves no deviation from the standards? Does he want recognition as one of the best in his position?

Once you know what he wants, then tailor it towards that. If you know he wants to be a BG someday, then when you interact with him on the topic of a PT standard, say something like "Sir, there's a PT program that a lot of {fill in special ops groups names here} guys are doing, and I think if we implemented it here, it could make your brigade the best performing brigade in the entire army. I've been studying it for a while now, and I'd like permission to implement it with my platoon, and measure the improvement compared to the rest of the brigade. If it works well, sir, you can decide whether or not to implement it in other platoons' PT"
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
John Maloney

Profile:
It's better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Anyway, ... it's called initiative.