CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I have my rings and I have a really cool place to go (This awesome trail in Fullerton) with lots of oaks and large trees. Now, I would like to get a nice climbing rope to take with us. What I need is an idea for getting the rope secured to a tree branch so we can do the 15' rope climbs etc. Maybe a grappling hook? How would I get it down then?

Any thoughts, anyone already doing this?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
if you have a ~15' foot length of climbing rope, you can find some high quality rock climbing accessory cord. at least 7mm is preferable, but i would get some 10mm-12mm static line, it'll last longer. get maybe 40ft or so. then, attach the two ropes by each end, and throw the static line over the tree branch. pull it over the branch until the climbing rope is in the position where you want it. to fix it all in place, find another sturdy tree with a low branch, and wrap the static line a few times around, using the low branch to make sure the line doesn't slip up the tree. if you wrap it a bunch of times, almost any knot will do to finish it off.

hope that makes sense...
Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
TROGDOR!!! THE BURNINATOR!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Yep, Perfect. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Peter Howarth

Profile:
Hey Nick.We were just talking about tree trunks.
I have a tree for climbing.I use some strong nylon rope,folded 4 times for added strength and secured thru the eye attachment at one end of the climbing rope.I scale up the tree a bit,hurl it over the branch and tie it off onto the trunk.Just test that the rope is very secure before you start your climb.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
I've had success tying a bowline (any secure knot that gives you a loop to work with will do)in one end of my climbing rope, then tying a length of 550 cord to the bowline, and a weight to the other end of the 550. When I want to hang my rope, I throw the weight over the branch, then use the 500 to haul the bowline end of the rope over the tree. Once its over, I run the free-running end through the loop of the bowline and pull it taught, securing it to the branch. When I want to take it down I use the 550 to pull the bowline down and pull the free running end out. This has the advantage that once you have your rope set up, you don't need to tie any knots to hang it. Hope my explanation was clear.