CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Omar Omar

Profile:
Shoulder area, something is hurting me...

Shoulder area, something is hurting me...

The pain started developing yesterday after my wrestling class was done. I started cooling down and stretching etc, when the pain started forming. I was perfectly fine right after class up until 10 minutes afterwards the pain was bad.

Later at night, I felt pain and movement of my left arm was slow because of the pain.

I decided to ignore it, when I woke up today I realized I am hurting and my ROM was considerably limited… It took a small struggle and pain to raise my left arm completely overhead or even to the side, putting my shirt on was a problem…

I went to the doc who told me it will heal in 5-7 days. I went through injuries in the past but I just feel like this one is more serious than what my doc thinks.

I have no irregularities in the skin; my left shoulder looks the same as my right. The pain is hard to describe but I don’t think it’s a muscle.

This is where the pain is:

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info...houlder_qa.gif
(AC, clavic areas)

This is vague because if I press on top of my shoulder where the AC is, I feel the pain on there at the surface, but when I move my arm up or to the side I feel some pain is perhaps inside as well, It’s hard to explain but it feels like more than just the surface is hurting..

The doctor said ice for 5-7 days; he explained that it is a very small dislocation between my AC and something else, could not understand his terminology, he mentioned I was at level 1 of three in the dislocation, apparently, a much worse dislocation would take a surgery to “pin something back in”, so I came to a conclusion that something was slightly popped out?

What do you guys think?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Shoulder area, something is hurting me...

I think your doctor sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Do what he tells you and call him again if it isn't better in a week.

Katherine
Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Sounds as though you have a Grade I AC Joint Separation.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...lavicular.html (WFS)

Complete healing in 5-7 days is a bit optimistic IMHO. The ligaments of the AC joint do not have the greatest blood supply, therefore healing may take a bit more time. I would imagine you'll have a full range of motion in about 1-2. Pain should be gone in 4-6 weeks.

Rest, ice, and range of motion exercises when tolerable are the mainstay of AC joint recovery.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.

Last edited by Everett Steinbarger; 02-04-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Omar Omar

Profile:

Thanks,

I did some searching and it seems to be infact a level 1 AC seperation which I am glad is not very serious...

How much time off do you think I should take?

1-2 weeks from now? Assuming that the pain is gone in 5-6 days?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

I usually tell people to start back when they are comfortable and pain free. For some people the pain goes away regardless of if they push it or not. Some people push it and aggravate the injury, lengthening the time it is painful.

Listen to your body. Until the shoulder is ready to go, work on the things that don't irritate the AC joint.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
I usually tell people to start back when they are comfortable and pain free. For some people the pain goes away regardless of if they push it or not. Some people push it and aggravate the injury, lengthening the time it is painful.

Listen to your body. Until the shoulder is ready to go, work on the things that don't irritate the AC joint.
^^ yeah that.

Hopefully you don't roll around much during sleep.

Get lots of sleep and eat well and it should help healing quicker too