CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #21
Shawn Casey

Profile:
Re: vegetarian paleo?

Cow and pig screams......yummmm.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
Andrew Lambert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
Cow and pig screams......yummmm.
Swooped in for the win!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
Jean-Patrick Millette

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I "think" (but am not 100% sure) Mike may have been a meat eater at some point, as most big people who are "current" vegetarians usually did (and may have built their mass while eating meat and now just sustain on vegetarian....but again, just a hunch and not gospel).

Vegetarianism is a personal choice one is free to make....but if it is solely based on a fear of sat fat and meat giving heart disease, then it is sadly misguided. In general most vegetarians do find improved health, mostly because their original eating patterns/choices were crap in the first place. However a vegetarian diet may give more health problems if is it low in essential fat soluble vitamins/minerals and higher in unstable processed fats/foods.

I'll take a diet of natural (as it is only as good as the source it comes from and how it is treated/processed) whole milk, butter and eggs any day over low fat tofu burgers.
I agree with you about the necessity to eat natural food over processed low fat, high sodium, high chemicals food. No arguing there. Im only saying you can be healthy without eating meat which most the paleos dude here seems to be disagreeing with. I would add the necessity to eat alot of nuts and seeds too. and no soy :P

. But, i think mahler was vegan most of KB carreer.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
Zachary Sokoloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
...so why bother not eating it unless you care about animals or somethin' And somebody who eats fish couldn't really care about animals that much so....
I care A LOT about animals, which is why I don't generally eat them, and why I disagree with how the majority of them are treated and then consumed mindlessly...but I do occasionally eat fish. I think there's a subtle (or maybe not-so-subtle?) difference in that fish seem (to me, anyway) to have a lower level of consciousness. Does that justify eating them? Well, I'm not totally sure, but it's a personal line drawn that I'm comfortable with at present. I think plants have a certain level of consciousness, too, but I haven't heard the screams of the cilantro yet...so, until I do, I'll keep eating it.

On a similar note, I've been trying to be more aware of thanking my food in the last few months, and it's only helped. I don't know much about it, but I really like the idea of prasad. I have a great passage from Rumi's dad, Bahā ud-Dīn, on mindful eating that I'll maybe post later...

Anyway...Laura, I'm not arguing with anything you said here at all. I enjoy your posts and am not responding to you so much as I am an idea that I'm still not sure about.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:36 AM   #25
Cassie Savage

Profile:

A lot of people also go vegetarian or vegan for environmental reasons, it's not just a health or moral thing. Eating tons of meat isn't exactly environmentally friendly or sustainable.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #26
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Cattle didn't cause the dust bowl. Farming did.

Check it, a whole website on sustainable eating with a grass fed article to boot.
http://www.sustainabletable.org/feat.../grassfedbeef/ WFS.

Vegetarian paleo is the oxiest of the morons.

Last edited by Shawn Casey; 12-04-2009 at 06:45 AM..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #27
Zachary Sokoloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
Cattle didn't cause the dust bowl. Farming did.
Poor farming methods, yes.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #28
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
A lot of people also go vegetarian or vegan for environmental reasons, it's not just a health or moral thing. Eating tons of meat isn't exactly environmentally friendly or sustainable.
I think you need to read "The Vegetarian Myth"
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #29
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Patrick Millette View Post
how is it to be fed the same ''one size fits all answers'' all the time?

Some posts here are pretty retarded.
You dont need meat to be performing good. Vegetarism is a pretty decent lifestyle if you take the time to look into ways of making it works. Veggie eating only crap food just like the typical processed food american diet is dumb. Basicly, what i am saying is you can use that concept and make it work for optimal results. I dont believe in one diet for everybody, its just dumb.

I personnaly wouldnt be vegetarian because i find it limits alot the food you can eat (especially food that is pretty good for you (fish, meat, etc)), but i dont doubt one second you can make it work.

I would suggest reading some of Mike Mahler articles on his website. He is a vegan and in better shape than most of us. It might give you a few ideas.

As for protein sources, i would be eating alot of eggs, nuts, and lastly beans.

But, really, if the reason you are not eating meat is because you dont have time to cook, then, let me tell you that no matter what diet you follow, you will always have to cook or prepare food.

The stereotypical weak, scrawny vegetarian is just a vegetarian who isn't eating enough and/or doesn't lift weights. Vegetarians who do eat enough and lift weights can get huge and anyone who doesn't believe that should take a look at this guy here.

To the OP, there's no reason why a well planned vegetarian diet can't meet all your nutritional needs but it does need to be well planned. I suggest therefore that if you're serious about becoming a vegetarian you buy yourself a copy of The New Becoming Vegetarian by Vesanto Melina RD and read the following links -

Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets.

Vegetarian diets : nutritional considerations for athletes.

A new food guide for North American vegetarians.

USDA: Tips and resources/vegetarian diets.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 12-05-2009 at 06:24 AM..
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #30
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Sokoloski View Post
I care A LOT about animals,
Me too, I want them nice and tasty when they hit my plate.

And I love watching sausage being made.