CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Running, 10 years after ACL repair

I had ACL repair, meniscus repair, and microfracture (cartilage) surgery 10 years ago. Ever since completing rehab, I have been able to run 3-5 days per week, but often with some pain/soreness. I usually try and run on dirt as opposed to pavement. I remember back when I was going through rehab, the Dr. said my pain was described as "medial joint pain," most likely caused by the microfracture procedure.

This is still what I am experiencing. It is usually the worst during the first 30-45 seconds of running, and then often it goes away. Although after I run I will always have knee pain the next morning, especially going up and down the stairs.
Back when I was still going through rehab and post-op visits, the Dr. told me to use Alleve before running to mediate swelling, but I know that is probably not a good long term sollution (taking Alleve before every run).

Just wondering, anybody else out there with the same issue? Are there certain running shoes that anybody has used to help this kind of pain?

FWIW, I tried Pose a few years ago and it wasn't for me, so I run "old-school."

thx
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Pete Nadeau

Profile:
Re: Running, 10 years after ACL repair

My knee history
Sounds like symptoms associated with knee osteoarthritis. I had ACL, meniscus repair in 1978 joined the Army in 1979. I ran for 20 years +, and lifted weights, the ACL became lax, I had debridement surgery in 1992. Diagnosed with degenerative joint disease; medial compartment in 1996, Lateral compartment in 2002. I had the synvisc shots in 2006 worked for while, Pain medicine only hides the problem.
Total knee replacement in 2012.

Last edited by Pete Nadeau; 04-29-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Luke Hitt

Profile:

Geez, that sounds awful.

I went running yesterday, the first 45-60 seconds were pretty painful and I was limping, but after about a minute most of the pain went away and I was able to run for 30 mins. I can't figure out why it hurts at first but then goes away.

Are you able to run now, after the knee replacement?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Yes I can run but it is discouraged; overuse by running, (training for a 5k) jumping and lifting heavy cause’s wear and tear on the chromium, cobalt and polymers. I run depending on the WOD 4 x 100’s on grass/sand once or twice a week. I substitute, rowing, biking and sled drags for running and step ups for jumps and double unders.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Luke Hitt

Profile:

I've read that running on my midfoot might help relieve some of the stress on my knees, since right now I usually heel-strike.

Are steps up a decent sub for box jumps? Seems like they wouldn't tax your aerobic system nearly as much as box jumps.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

"Seems like they wouldn't tax your aerobic system"
The Crossfit WOD works for me, my job and my goals
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
My knee history
Sounds like symptoms associated with knee osteoarthritis. I had ACL, meniscus repair in 1978 joined the Army in 1979. I ran for 20 years +, and lifted weights, the ACL became lax, I had debridement surgery in 1992. Diagnosed with degenerative joint disease; medial compartment in 1996, Lateral compartment in 2002. I had the synvisc shots in 2006 worked for while, Pain medicine only hides the problem.
Total knee replacement in 2012.
I'd have to second that. Sounds like you've had a good deal of wear and tear on your knee joint.

Modify as much as you need to with crossfit exercises (step-downs on box jumps, sub rowing for running if needed etc.)

Shoes can make a big difference in knee pain. You can listen to a podcast of 2 physical therapists speaking about selecting the right shoe wear in a podcast here.

Also, just because you may be getting degenerative issues in your knee (ie arthritis) doesn't mean you can't do exercises to decrease the amount of stress your knees take. I wrote an article series about rehabbing knee pain, this is typically what I do with my high level knee pain patients in the clinic.

Part 1: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=2866
Part 2: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=2914
Part 3: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=2942

Lastly, check out chris johnson's blog. He's a physical therapist who specializes with runners. Awesome stuff. http://chrisjohnsonpt.com

Keep us updated!