CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Samy Natour
Departed Samy Natour is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 221
Conditioning for Muay Thai

Hello,

I recently started training muay thai again after a 2 year lay off. Other than just going to class does any one have recommendations for strength and conditioning programs?

For Strength I will continue with the westside method, but only do ME days. As for conditioning what sort of metcons would be suitable?

I'm not looking to do traditional thai conditioning(lots of running etc..) while it may work, I think there are better ways..
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Pearse Shields
Member Pearse Shields is offline
 
Pearse Shields's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmerston  New Zealand
Posts: 1,798
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

If it works and works well, then why are other ways better?

I have a novice Thai fight coming up on the 3rd of December. My conditioning has been mostly based around bodyweight circuits, running (both intervals and LSD) and rowing.

One of my favourite drills is Burpee Intervals. 30 seconds of burpees, followed by 30 seconds shadow boxing. You can structure it so you're doing 5 x 2-minute rounds, 4 x 3 minute rounds, whatever tickles your fancy.

For round lengths, both 500m rows and 800m sprints have similar lengths/demands.

If you want to keep doing CF-style hard, heavy metcons, use them sparingly, once or twice a week, as a challenge to yourself.

I know you've said you don't want to base your conditioning around roadwork the way the Thais do, but I'd still recommend you do it once a week, preferably in the middle of the week. This gives your body a chance to recover from your other, more demanding workouts (such as metcons and ME lifting) while improving endurance. A run is easier to recover from than most other workouts are.

The biggest piece of advice though is that your sport comes first. Don't crush yourself on the days that you'll be sparring. You want the ability to come in fresh and learn, not be worn out and get beaten to a pulp. Skills are easiest to learn when the mind and the body are fresh, so you progress faster.

Good luck with your training, hope it goes well!
__________________
If it had parents, eat it till you're full My YouTube
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Becca Borawski
Affiliate Becca Borawski is offline
 
Becca Borawski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 1,231
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

I second what Pearse said. You'll learn for yourself through how you feel during training and performances as to how well your preparation worked and you'll hone it to your needs over time, but no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to what we know DOES work. Roadwork, rowing, burpees, all the things Pearse described are great ways to get in the right kind of condition for Thai boxing.

Personally with a fight coming that soon I'd lay off the ME stuff, too. You just don't need it and with all the conditioning you're hopefully doing, you're counteracting your ME efforts anyway.

Jumprope 'til you're blue in the face, run, and row. Do lighter weights on met-cons in the time domains that match your fights.
__________________
Becca Borawski
Managing Editor - www.breakingmuscle.com

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Omar Omar
Member Omar Omar is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga  Ontario
Posts: 320
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I have a novice Thai fight coming up on the 3rd of December. My conditioning has been mostly based around bodyweight circuits, running (both intervals and LSD) and rowing.
How long are your LSD run's and how often are you doing those?

Omar
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Collin Thompson
Member Collin Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Novato  CA
Posts: 657
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

Not asking this in a condescending tone but you said you think there are better ways to condition - what do you have in mind?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Samy Natour
Departed Samy Natour is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 221
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
If it works and works well, then why are other ways better?

I have a novice Thai fight coming up on the 3rd of December. My conditioning has been mostly based around bodyweight circuits, running (both intervals and LSD) and rowing.

One of my favourite drills is Burpee Intervals. 30 seconds of burpees, followed by 30 seconds shadow boxing. You can structure it so you're doing 5 x 2-minute rounds, 4 x 3 minute rounds, whatever tickles your fancy.

For round lengths, both 500m rows and 800m sprints have similar lengths/demands.

If you want to keep doing CF-style hard, heavy metcons, use them sparingly, once or twice a week, as a challenge to yourself.

I know you've said you don't want to base your conditioning around roadwork the way the Thais do, but I'd still recommend you do it once a week, preferably in the middle of the week. This gives your body a chance to recover from your other, more demanding workouts (such as metcons and ME lifting) while improving endurance. A run is easier to recover from than most other workouts are.

The biggest piece of advice though is that your sport comes first. Don't crush yourself on the days that you'll be sparring. You want the ability to come in fresh and learn, not be worn out and get beaten to a pulp. Skills are easiest to learn when the mind and the body are fresh, so you progress faster.

Good luck with your training, hope it goes well!
Sport comes first is 100% right. Devoting time to training only is what makes the biggest difference in conditioning. I might start rowing and doing body weight metcons in 2 min rounds with 30 seconds rest. Metcons will have to be lighter though.

I'm not sparring at the moment but will get back into it soon. Nothing gets you into shape faster than sparring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
I second what Pearse said. You'll learn for yourself through how you feel during training and performances as to how well your preparation worked and you'll hone it to your needs over time, but no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to what we know DOES work. Roadwork, rowing, burpees, all the things Pearse described are great ways to get in the right kind of condition for Thai boxing.

Personally with a fight coming that soon I'd lay off the ME stuff, too. You just don't need it and with all the conditioning you're hopefully doing, you're counteracting your ME efforts anyway.

Jumprope 'til you're blue in the face, run, and row. Do lighter weights on met-cons in the time domains that match your fights.
Becca,

I'm not getting ready for any fights, can I can continue to do ME days? Do you have any suggestions for the type of metcon? Something like tabata intervals with body weight movements, light weights?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Not asking this in a condescending tone but you said you think there are better ways to condition - what do you have in mind?

Well to be honest at the moment I'm not 100% certain, as I go along and experiment I hope I'll find out. I should've been more clear by traditional methods I meant running 15 km everyday and doing 100's of bodyweight movements.

Obviously it works because I've never seen a fighter from Thailand run out of gas, while I have seen european fighters gas. Although I think this has more to do with skill level.


I should also mention that previously when I trained I didn't lift weights at all, only trained, sparred and did sprints. And I had no issues with conditioning
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Samy Natour
Departed Samy Natour is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 221
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

Oh and I have no doubt that LSD has its place in muay thai conditioning,I'll probably just stick to rowing. Running during winter time in Canada
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Pearse Shields
Member Pearse Shields is offline
 
Pearse Shields's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmerston  New Zealand
Posts: 1,798
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
How long are your LSD run's and how often are you doing those?

Omar
I'll do anywhere between 4k and 10k, depending on weather, how I feel, and what else I have that day. If I'm doing a run and nothing else, it'll be longer, but if I have other training, it'll be shorter.
__________________
If it had parents, eat it till you're full My YouTube
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Becca Borawski
Affiliate Becca Borawski is offline
 
Becca Borawski's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 1,231
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy Natour View Post
Becca,

I'm not getting ready for any fights, can I can continue to do ME days? Do you have any suggestions for the type of metcon? Something like tabata intervals with body weight movements, light weights?
Yeah, consider it an "off-season" thing - that's what people do in other sports that have more delineated time periods of on and off season. Build your strength in the off-season and maintain a level of conditioning. Then when your "fight camp" begins, focus on conditioning and ditch the heavy weights. And obviously, be working your skill/technique year round.

Check out "CrossPit" type workouts for good met-con workouts to do -- starting next Monday we'll be posting 3 weeks of CrossPit workouts on breakingmuscle.com (wfs) actually. I just interviewed John Hackleman and he is our "featured coach" and guest programmer starting next week. The workouts will be perfect for what you're after.
__________________
Becca Borawski
Managing Editor - www.breakingmuscle.com

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Pearse Shields
Member Pearse Shields is offline
 
Pearse Shields's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmerston  New Zealand
Posts: 1,798
Re: Conditioning for Muay Thai

In the meantime, here's a fun one:

Rounds 1 and 3:

30 seconds burpees
30 seconds jumping jacks
30 seconds mountain climbers
30 seconds burpees
30 seconds jumping jacks
30 seconds push-ups

Rounds 2 and 4:

30 seconds burpees
30 seconds jumping jacks
30 seconds mountain climbers
30 seconds burpees
30 seconds jumping jacks
30 seconds push-ups

Take 1 minute rest between rounds.
__________________
If it had parents, eat it till you're full My YouTube
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jujitsu vs Muay Thai Miguel Angel Cortes CrossPit 44 01-27-2011 11:35 AM
CF + Muay Thai = Fit Muay Thai Champ!! Leon Robotham Fitness 5 07-04-2007 02:46 AM
Muay Thai Ross Turpin CrossPit 11 10-27-2006 12:54 PM
Muay Thai HL Matthew Nielsen CrossPit 0 05-11-2006 02:34 PM
Crossfit for Muay Thai? Chris Haldeman Starting 12 05-07-2004 03:56 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.