CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
20 minutes for max rounds of 100m run, 12x 1 1/2 pd kettlebell swings, 10 pullups.

by the 2nd round i'll be doing broken sets of pullups and by the 4th round i'll be doing mostly jumping pullups with broken sets if i continue to work the negatives a bit. the kettlebell swings will be in broken sets sooner than later at 1 1/2 pd. purely a guess, but with broken sets i think i'll likely be able to do 9 or 10 sets in 20 mins.

i understand scaling weights when necessary in heavier metcon workouts without time limits so that it doesn't take 45 mins or an hour to do them (i.e. diane with 21-15-9 reps of 225lb deadlift), but since we have a specific amout of time to work within it seems we should try to use the rx'd weight, if possible, for the entire 20 mins.

it's going to kick my butt either way, but would it be better ideally to start with beginner pullups (heels elevated on bench and hanging from smith station bar) and 1 pd for the kettlebell swings so that i can knock out 50% or more total rounds without the volume of broken sets, OR complete less rounds doing closer to the rx'd workout?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
Greg,
If you can do 9 or 10 sets in 20 minutes, I think you do not need to scale-based on about 20 seconds for 100 meters, 30-40 seconds for proper k-bell swings, 20 seconds for kipping pullups or 40 seconds for strict, plus 30-40 seconds total transition. This should put you right on target, especially as you start slowing down toward the later rounds.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
thanks for the input. i'm not trying to be difficult, but let's say it takes me (or anybody) 2 1/2 or 3 minutes to complete each round as rx'd. this would mean 6, 7, or 8 total rounds vs quite a bit more if starting with beginner pullups and 1 pd on the kettlebell. would you still say NOT to scale?

i'd prefer not to scale when i don't absolutely have to, and complete fewer rounds or take a bit longer, but i don't want to lose other benefits from these types of workouts that may be more important than slowly trudging through as rx'd, if that's the case without scaling. i suppose that's the specific answer i'm looking for if i haven't been clear.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
If you don't scale you'll be emphasizing muscular endurance, probably at the expense of aerobic conditioning as you start to break up sets. If you scale it you are shifting the balance the other way. I'd choose the one that best fits your goals, or maybe compromise by starting as rx'ed and completing as many rounds as you can at high intensity, then swithch to lower weight and assisted pull-ups. You're looking for that sweet spot where both your muscles and your lungs are screaming for you to stop, but you are able to push through.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
the 'compromise' you suggested is exactly what i ended up doing, chris, thanks. i swapped to jumping pullups on the 2nd round and i was doing nothing but jumping pullups by the 3rd round and broken sets of that by the end. i dropped to 1pd kettlebell swings on the 3rd round and stuck with that for the 4th round and on.

and still only completed 6 full rounds...i most always think i'm going to do more that i end up doing on these workouts i haven't tried before. mathew, in hindsight the only way i would have gotten 9 or 10 rounds would have been to start with beginner pullups and a 25lb dumbell. i really like the idea of trying to start off as rx'd and dropping from there as needed. i think this is pretty much what i have been doing in past metcon wod's.

sweet spot?!?! i found it after the workout, after a trip to the water fountain and after walking around a bit to catch my breath and let my heartrate slow down...it was a mat on the floor. seriously, i understand what you mean and i appreciate the input very much.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Greg:

I had the same dilemna with the Thruster/PU WOD. I managed 7 rounds, but was barely breathing hard. Total muscle endurance challenge to do it as Rx'd. I typically look at this type of WOD and decide going in in I am going to emphasize the met-con or the muscle endurance/strength aspect for that particular day, and then I sell out for that strategy.

Just one more way to approach it. Either way it's still a kick in the pants, huh?!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
that makes sense, too, darrell. thanks.

yes, a kick in the pants, and i had the same issue with the same wod you mentioned two days before this one, and managed only 6 rounds. this is why i raised the question for this wod, to verify what i was doing was ok. the difference for me is i was breathing very hard during and after that one, as well...no doubt muscular AND cardio for me. it's going to take at least a few more months to get my cardio back to where it needs to be so that i can maintain this kind of intensity.