CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
Mike Humphries

Profile:
I have recently began to use the power rings. When I tried ring dips, my inner chest began to kill me. This has happened on both the rings and parallel bars now. It's the inside of my right pec, feels like it's gonna come off the bone. Any ideas what this might be and how I might go about fixing it? Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Mike,
Dips are a pretty tough movement for the uninitiated, ring dips are several degrees harder. (I'm not a Dr., but IMO)You probably have a slight (or not so slight) muscle pull. Give it a rest just like if you pulled a hamstring or groin and gradually work back into things. Try moving your rings way down and leaning into them and do a diplike movement and gradually increase the height of the rings over time until your feet are of the ground again. Be patient, depending on severity it takes awhile to recover from soft tissue injuries.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I have this, too, which I got when I did Cindy followed by Linda followed by something with many dips (these over the course of 3 or 4 days). I've always been weak, especially in the chest, from not training much, so I think I was doing too much too soon. This was many months ago, and it still bugs me, enough that dips are painful.

I keep reinjuring it but laying off it makes things that much harder when I start up again, so it's difficult to figure out how to rehab it and still keep up with movements to strengthen it.

Right now, pushups and lighter benching are fine, but they don't pack the wallop of ring dips.

I find I'm very inflexible in my chest (bad posture, chest pulled in sort of thing), and stretching has helped a bit. Also, I'm more careful about not going full ROM when I do try dips. It's pressing out of that bottom position that causes the most strain, so I'm trying to limit ROM so that I can still do the exercise. But even doing a support on rings is uncomfortable or painful in my right pec.

Work in progress. Good luck; please post if you find effective treatment (like massage, heat, cold, whatever).

Best,
Rene'
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I am unsure of whether this is just a strength issue. I say that only because I find that I at times get a similar pain (my excellent treatment is ignoring it *grin*), and I have rather good strength in my chest. Now to say the exact opposite... I would say that it has to do with strength in a specific portion of the ROM, probably developed due to doing dips only to 90 degrees.

I find the best thing for it has been to work on really low dips, chicken dips as they are at times aptly called... wrists to the armpits, flare the arms out not back, an if you can elevate your feet so they are not directly below you, but up and back a little...