CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Jay Jack
On box jumps, is the emphasis on the DRIVE from the floor(like a vertical leap), or the REBOUND from the floor after the drop (like a depth jump)? I don't know if that sounded clear or not.I guess the easiest way to ask it is are you supposed to take a break (assuming a break is needed) on the floor, or are you resting on the box and playing hot potato with the floor. I've had trainers explain it both ways in the past and I'm not sure which one is more in line with the CF methodology. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Neal Winkler
I try and play hot potato with the box and floor, never thought I was doing anything wrong. But what do I know? :crazy:
Old 01-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Jeremy Bloniasz
The one that would be more in line with the CF methodology would be to do both. Alternate them between workouts, keep changing it up. I do both, usually depends on were it comes up in the workout. I usually start out doing depth jumps, the "hot potatoe" kind and finish with regular jump up, step down type box jumps.
Just change them up every now and then.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Stanley Kunnathu
Full hip extension at the top of the jump is critical. Explosion from the bottom.

Floor: powerful explosion onto the box

Top of box: Land and touch both hands overhead. This gets you to stand up straight before the next rep. Think about sticking your gut out before descending. People tend to short cut the end of the movement in the interest of time.

Either step one foot at a time down to floor or jump down and land as softly as possible.

This is how I understand past discussions.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Jerry Hill
I've always wondered why full extension at the top is essential. Isn't the jump from the floor to the box where the power is displayed?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Alex McClung
I usually do a jump tuck, landing on the box in a deep squat position, then rise to full extension. I step off lightly with 1 foot.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Chris Forbis
I always do mine as depth jumps, where you treat the ground as a "hot potato" and bounce off of it. I feel it is more vertical jump oriented that way. Especially helpful for basketball where one is often repeatedly jumping with little time spent on the floor.

I still stand all the way up on top of the box after each rep though.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Jay Jack
So far it sounds like one of those "mix it up/whatever works for you" situations. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a RXed way I wasn't doing. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Roger Harrell
Mix it up. I differentiate them with stop at top or stop at bottom box/block jumps. When we do stop at top we literally bounce off the floor. This helps to train the punch that is so essential to gymnastics, but does not negate the importance of the driving off the floor required when doing "stop at bottom".
Old 01-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Ross Hunt

Jumping off the ground is really only half of jumping up onto something; re-bending your legs fast enough is sometimes the hard part, and standing up gets tiring eventually, too.

Try jumps on to a hip or navel-high box to get a feel for this; suddenly, tucking your legs under you is everything.

I jump back down with two feet and go again immediately, but that's just because I'm not particularly patient.

- - - - - - - -

EDIT: Some people lack the ability to grasp this to an extent that is amusing. This may be one reason why so many people claim huge vertical leaps; they leap up on to a 32" box and think they have a 32" vert. :lol:

(Message edited by Orestes122484 on January 30, 2006)