CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Leanne Seckinger

Profile:  
Nicole, Beth, anyone!

I've been doing the Zone diet 2 months, and have recently been having "crashes" about 1 1/2-3 hours following my meals. I've been doing the 4 block plan primarily because I'm 21 weeks pregnant as well and figured I needed the extra protein. I've scaled down Crossfit workouts but have been keeping my HR<160.

Here's what I've been eating for the past few days...I really want the Zone to work for me, but I'm not sure what I'm truly lacking.

Breakfast: 1/3c oatmeal w/ 1tsp of macadamia nut oil, 2 eggs + 2 egg whites scrambled
mid a.m. snack: 1/2c cottage cheese lowfat with 1/2c pineapple, 10 walnuts
Lunch: 4oz lean turkey, 1/2c beans, 1/2c grapes, 7 raw almonds
p.m. snack 1-2 hardboiled eggs with yolk removed with 1 tbsp hummus per egg, 5 almonds

Dinner usually includes either: 4oz chicken, fish or steak, an assortment of califlower, broccoli, or asparagus, 1/2c kidney beans/black beans.

I work in a hospital and see patients every hour, and sometimes just can't get back to my desk for my snack breaks between meals. Does anyone have any suggestions on changing the ratio of my meals to make up for missed snack breaks. I've had the crashes with the snacks, so I'm not sure if its the food choices or if its just the pregnancy thing.

Thanks,
Leanne
Old 04-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Leanne-

It looks like you are eating 14 blocks per day of protein. One thing I notice is that your meals are often low in carbohydrate.

The break down of your meals is as follows:

Breakfast: 3 p / 1c / 3f
AM snack: 2p / 1c / ~3-4 f
lunch: 4 p / 3c / ~2f
PM snack: ~1p / ~1c / ~2f
Dinner: 4p / ?c / ?f

I think adding more carbohydrate in the form of low - glycemic veggies is a good first step. What I've read from Dr. Sears' site suggests pregnant women add 1-2 TOTAL blocks to each meal. My suggestion is to add the right amount of carbs to make standard Zone balanced meals and see how that goes. Also watch your PM snack - having one egg with no yoke only gives you 1/2 block of protein, this is less than a one block meal and may be too small.

As far as changing the ratios of meals-- ideally you are trying to maintain your block prescription. So if you are at 14 blocks you should eat 14 everyday in a way that works for you. The only "rule" is not to eat more than 5 blocks in any one sitting.

Last thing would be to add some fish oil. I love a brand called Nordic Naturals but others have had success with different brands. I believe 2.5g per day is recommended for pregnancy.

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Leanne Seckinger

Profile:  
Hi Nicole-

Thanks so much for the advice!! I'll re-vamp my carbs and fat for the week, and see what happens. I'll post an update later in the week with the NEW results!

Thanks again,
Leanne
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Leanne,

don't forget that there are also seemingly random, normal times during a pregnancy when we simply bonk - need more sleep, a particular food, etc. It might not be diet at all - just hormones or your baby is growing a part of him/herself that requires more of your energy for that week. I noticed real shifts from week to week in both my pregnancies and so have most of my friends.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:25 AM   #5
Leanne Seckinger

Profile:  
Last week was truly a bonk week! This is our first, so all of this is quite new. I must say, since changing to the zone, I don't chow down on empty calories like my friends who are also pregnant. My energy levels and ability to still work out "relatively" hard has been pretty stable. I've been quite happy so far. Thanks for the advice. Anything is a great help!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Interesting study a while back on athletes in pregnancy showed that as they went through the pregnancy, they stayed with what they could do - didn't progress a whole lot but didn't lose anything. The most interesting thing was that when the babies were born it was like a huge increase in all athletic performance for the mother. Just interesting info. The birth will be easier for you too.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Leanne Seckinger

Profile:  
Hi all, here's the update. Well, I still had a bit of a struggle adding enough carbs to my midday meal and afternoon snack, but I think I have it figured out. I'm not as tired as the week before, and have been able to "hold out" until the next meal without feeling completely whipped or starving. I'm pretty psyched by the last posting regarding the post natal performance, it gives me hope as my current performance hasn't been so hot lately. Here's what I've been eating roughly during the week:

Breakfast: 2/3c oatmeal, 1 tsp of macadamian nut oil mixed in, 2 eggs with 2 egg whites
a.m. snack: 1/2 apple, 1oz turkey meat, 4 almonds
Lunch: 1 c strawberries with 1 c plain fat free yogart,1 orange, 4 oz chicken, 1/2c black beans, 12 olives
p.m. snack: 1/2 apple, 1 oz turkey, 4 almonds
Dinner 4oz chicken, 1/2 c kidney beans, 2c broccoli, 1c mixed berries, 1/2 avocado

Thanks for the feedback, its been quite helpful!!!