CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
M&F catching on?

I picked up the latest issue of Muscle & Fitness (yeah, yeah - hear me out with this one) and was interested in reading the large nutrition article as the top thing (followed up with their "cardio for muscle" article that I'll post up in the Fitness area).

They essentially give the finger to the USDA's food pyramid and have made their own inverted pyramid with the focus as:

1.) Protein (5-7 servings a day, 6-8 oz per serving; 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight minimum.)
2.) Veggies (5-7 servings a day)
3.) Healthy Fats (no real indication of limit until you hit the dietary meal planning section, but a focus on having mono- & polyunsaturated fats)
4a.) Whole Grains (yeah, grains are a no-no for paleo in general. However, they do focus staying away from the processed stuff and look at the better versions like brown rice, oats, quinoa, etc)
4b.) Fruit (Kept on the same tier as whole grains, recommended eating in the mornings when glycogen stores are low and pre-workout - but it states not to overdo it and to focus more on the veggies for fiber and antioxidants)
5.) Protein Supplements (Something they say is missing from the original USDA pyramid and also it's harder to get all the protein you need via whole foods due to lack of appetite and protein digesting slower than the times when you should be optimally eating)
6.) Specialty Supplements (Kind of vague here - they admit that. But there are the typical things that people pop/drink like fish oil, creatine, caffeine, etc).
7.) Fast Carbs (Yeah, a big no-no across the board for the standard paleo or for practically any diet. However, their focus is specifically to eat these things beyond a cheat meal and to actually have them as apart of a post-workout food along with some protein.)

More here (WFS):
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/musc.../nutrition/138
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Travis Cudlin

Profile:
Re: M&F catching on?

Nothing special, it's the same relative bodybuilding diet that they've been recommending for years.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Yeah, the BB diet has been like that for a while. No if outdoor or runners world started suggesting that sort of diet, that would be something.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Tony Arms

Profile:

If you look at the past few issues they have been incorporating more CF principles in some of their articles. 2 Months ago they had a big section on Tabatas. This month there was something else that I remember thinking 'huh, that looks familiar'. But I was reading it while I was taking a dump so I forgot what it was about.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Jordan Spritzer

Profile:

M&F can't be all bad. They did an article a couple of years ago focusing on Andy Petranek and the main principles of Crossfit. Without that article I might have never known about Crossfit. Score one for M&F.... but JUST one.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Their diet info is pretty good, especially if you are trying to get big. Training, not so much
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Well of course their diet suggestions are going to include large amounts of whey and casein powder--where do you think they get their advertising dollars from? The ad-to-article ratio of most fitness magazines is absurd, and it's pretty obvious that the "eat broccoli and grass-fed beef and asparagus" lobby can't really compete with Muscletech's.

If the CFJ or this board contained banner ads for Dr. Sears or Loren Cordain's books, I would be more than a little suspicious of any threads advocating Zone or Paleo. Fortunately HQ hasn't prostituted CF out like that, so we can be confident that information is being posted on here because it has passed the black box test.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Yeah, the BB diet has been like that for a while. No if outdoor or runners world started suggesting that sort of diet, that would be something.
Right now, the only place where this is catching on (thanks to Joe Friel) is in his Training Bibles (e.g. Triathlete's Training Bible) in the Fuel section that covers nutrition - Paleo for Athletes to be specific.

Also, there are alot more ultrarunners (not necessarily apart of CF or any affiliate) that are finding the benefits of eating either Paleo or atleast in a Paleo-fashion (less refined carbs, more protein, more veg & fruit, more nuts & seeds...hmm, that sounds familiar. )