CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:
Torn UCL

Just saw the ortho this afternoon for a follow up to an MRI. Injured my left elbow on 3-10 during an OHS during Open WOD 13.2. Diagnosis is a torn posterior bundle of my UCL. Dr seems to think that once it heals (in a couple of months) that I will be able to return to my normal activities in the gym without limitations. He doesn't recommend surgery to repair it since I am not a throwing athlete. He says my elbow feels pretty stable. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this type of an injury. Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Torn UCL

I am assuming you mean 14.2. If the surgeon cannot pick up laxity clinically I would say it is OK to wait and see about stability of the elbow joint. Certainly when you get back you need to get into it slowly and lightly to test it out.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
I am assuming you mean 14.2. If the surgeon cannot pick up laxity clinically I would say it is OK to wait and see about stability of the elbow joint. Certainly when you get back you need to get into it slowly and lightly to test it out.
Thank you Sean. Yes, I meant 14.2! That is my plan for now. I am hoping the elbow will eventually be strong enough for heavy DL, kipping, etc. I was hoping someone with a similar injury would be able to give insight into doing CrossFit after recovery. But as far as I can tell, this is not a common injury except among pitchers. Leave it to me to hurt myself on an OHS I guess. I will start therapy this week.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Yes I have seen a few from weightlifting overhead going too heavy and getting sudden valgus load or a load that stresses that ligament on the inner side of the elbow. All have gone back to lifting without pain.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Yes I have seen a few from weightlifting overhead going too heavy and getting sudden valgus load or a load that stresses that ligament on the inner side of the elbow. All have gone back to lifting without pain.
Great! Thanks for your insight. I am starting some very light DB movements and all is going well so far.