CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Jerry Roselli

Profile:
AC Joint... Kipping/TTB

Long story short, had an MRI and basically my AC joint in left shoulder is shot, nothing else structurally wrong... only bothers me when I do kipping pullups or toes to bar (anything hanging from a bar).

Today I tried a reverse grip on my pull-ups and toes to bar... amazingly no pain in left shoulder when I grab the bar palm towards me with my left hand and palm away on right hand.

Anyone else experience anything like this?... good idea/bad idea to go reverse grip from now on?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Jerry Roselli : 03-27-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Danielle Chollet

Profile:
Re: AC Joint... Kipping/TTB

I had AC impingement from my job that would get aggravated even more with too much overhead crossfit stuff. Turned out I had bursitis and quite a bit of arthritis in there from 30 yrs of wear and tear on the job. They cleared it all out and made a little more room in the joint. When I started back up crossfitting a year later, I would only do reverse grip kipping pullups and stuck with that for more than a year with no pain at all. 3 yrs later, I no longer have the job that hurt it, and I can now do butterfly and T2B with regular grip, but I keep my volume low, only do them when they come up in a WOD, no extra practicing.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Jerry Roselli

Profile:

wow that's great, good for you... they said I can get surgery to remove the joint, which sounds like what you had done... you don't need your AC joint, it doesn't do anything but the recover was 3 months before I can lift again... does that sound right?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

My surgeries (both shoulders 3 months apart) were to shave 4mm off the acromion (arthroscopic) and some more off the clavicle (open Mumford procedure) 3 months before you can lift again. PT was great, you will be amused when lifting 5 lbs. overhead becomes very fatiguing, very fast, haha.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Jerry Roselli

Profile:

aghh, sounds like fun haha... we'll see how I feel at the end of the summer, if it's still bad then I'll get the surgery... thanks for the insight
Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

That is because when you change the grip, you no take that side lat out of the equation, and use more biceps.

Your lat is the problem, and the AC joint is compensating for what the lat is not doing now. I'm willing to bet it's a pretty easy fix if you find someone that knows what they are doing. I know a bunch of good docs on LI that can help you. Message me if you want to contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Roselli View Post
Long story short, had an MRI and basically my AC joint in left shoulder is shot, nothing else structurally wrong... only bothers me when I do kipping pullups or toes to bar (anything hanging from a bar).

Today I tried a reverse grip on my pull-ups and toes to bar... amazingly no pain in left shoulder when I grab the bar palm towards me with my left hand and palm away on right hand.

Anyone else experience anything like this?... good idea/bad idea to go reverse grip from now on?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Jerry Roselli

Profile:

Thanks Brian, PM sent
Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

I have seen a lot of SLAP tears and pain from these can be referred to the area near the AC joint. The kip with external rotation of the shoulder stresses the superior labrum of the shoulder, reverse grip eliminates the external rotation and takes the stress off of the superior labrum and biceps. In all the athletes I have seen (and I have not seen or examined you so this advice is only theoretical), it is rare to take out the distal clavicle, Sean
Old 03-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Jerry Roselli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
I have seen a lot of SLAP tears and pain from these can be referred to the area near the AC joint. The kip with external rotation of the shoulder stresses the superior labrum of the shoulder, reverse grip eliminates the external rotation and takes the stress off of the superior labrum and biceps. In all the athletes I have seen (and I have not seen or examined you so this advice is only theoretical), it is rare to take out the distal clavicle, Sean
You would see that in an MRI, correct?... I was told I had no tears and that my shoulder looked very good overall... I did break my left collarbone pretty bad playing football when I was 17... compound break, almost completely through the skin... I would imagine that has something to do with this as well, even though it was 25 years ago.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Sometimes not seen if contrast was not injected into joint