CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
David Fuhrer

Profile:
Coconut Milk vs. Coconut Cream

Hi....I bought a box today, the label says it is "100% coconut cream". But...it's sorta' watery. The text on the box is not in English....so no help there.

Can you recommend any sort of way to test (visually, taste, consistency) what I have so I can decide whether it should be.....for nutritional value and caloric value....considered "cream" or "milk"?

CHEERS!

David
Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Micah Tanner

Profile:
Re: Coconut Milk vs. Coconut Cream

This may just come down to an argument in semantics, which doesn't serve the intention of your question, but in my experience coconut "cream" is a solid, almost dry-pastey like consistency at room temperature. The brand I am familiar with (Tropical Traditions?) has a layer of coconut oil at the top and the body of the cream is a beige color that comes out of the glass jar in gritty chunks.

Coconut milk, as I understand it to be, is just the coconut cream with water and an emulsifier added. I've only had it out of cans, its always been pure white, and been a liquid with the consistency of fully melted ice cream.

Side story: I once opened up a can of coconut milk that had fortuitiously solidified to a consistency like soft-serve ice cream (at room temp.). I'm not sure if it had dried out in the can, or if there was too much emulsifier added in processing or what, but it was one of the most delicious treats I've ever had. Soft, creamy, fluffy, ice-creamy and delicious without any sugar added. I wish I knew how it happened, because it was the cheatiest feeling non-cheat I've ever eaten. Before I was disappointed with the coconut cream from Tropical Traditions, this was exactly what I imagined coconut cream to actually be.