CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:
Knee and Wrist Wraps

Does anybody have any favorite brands of wrist and knee straps to use during squats, bench, press, etc?

Also, my knees are getting stiff and sore. Should I get some neoprene supports to wear? Would I wear them during workouts, or all day long? I ride my bike a lot, and I think this is contributing to the stress on the knees.

-sheldon
Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: Knee and Wrist Wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Kreger View Post
Also, my knees are getting stiff and sore. Should I get some neoprene supports to wear? Would I wear them during workouts, or all day long? I ride my bike a lot, and I think this is contributing to the stress on the knees.

-sheldon
There should be no reason for you to start wearing neoprene knee support things.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Are you talking about wraps, straps, or knee sleeves? Those are three very different things.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
Thyge Riisgaard

Profile:

Wrist wraps - just get the cheapest from a power lifting company. Inzer, Titan whatever.

Neoprene knee sleeves (Tommy Kono, Rehband). Get them. Wear them during your workout.

You do want to wear neoprene sleeves during the day - unless you want trench foot on your knees. You could however get a pair in wool and wear. I've been known to sleep with a pair of woollen socks, with the tips cut off, when my knees have been acting up.

I regards to knee wraps I suggest going to Rippetoes site and finding the video where he discusses knee straps.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Are you talking about wraps, straps, or knee sleeves? Those are three very different things.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm getting a slight ache and moderate stiffness during the day - that's what I'd like to minimize. Once I warm up, I feel fine and can get through the workouts with no problems or pain.

I think of straps as a tool for avoiding injury during lifts. I think of knee sleeves as something to provide support and assist recovery. I'm just not sure if or when I should wear sleeves.

I've used really stiff wrist straps when benching heavy and that seems to take pressure off during the lift. Perhaps something similar for the knees during squats will help by avoiding initial damage. Will straps during heavy squats help prevent stiffness and aches later on, or are they primarily for avoiding serious injury during lifts?

I'm also wondering if wearing knee sleeves during metcons will add a bit of stability to avoid damage. Or, maybe I can wear knee sleeves throughout the day to promote faster recovery?

What about when I ride my bike?

Maybe I just need some mobility work? I spend about 20 minutes per day stretching, in the morning and also post workout. Flexibility is actually my greatest strength, but that doesn't mean I'm not having mobility issues in my joints.

Just a side note: I wasn't taking fish oil for the last few weeks. This weekend I got some more and the stiffness really eased up practically overnight.

-sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon Kreger; 09-27-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Straps are used for heavy rack pulls or clean pulls or other things where grip would be the limiting factor, but overuse of them will keep you from strengthening grip to the point you'd need it to be able to pull heavy weights. A good example would be using them for 3x3 clean pulls at 110% of your clean 1RM. A bad example would be using them every time you do a 3RM or 1RM deadlift.

Wrist wraps give a little support to the wrists and are typically allowed even in raw meets. I think they're fine to use when pressing or benching if you need them.

Knee wraps (worn correctly) act almost like a squat suit in that they provide elastic assistance as you go into a squat, so they're not allowed in raw meets. I don't think you're looking for these given your situation. They won't help your squat in the way that you say wrist wraps have helped on your bench. Completely different thing because of how they're worn and the nature of the movement, seeing how your knees go into flexion during a squat but your wrists are pretty much isometric during bench or press.

Knee sleeves provide slight compression and help keep your joints warm. They're also typically allowed even in raw meets. I don't think you'd want to wear them throughout the day or when riding your bike. If you think you need knee sleeves to prevent damage during metcons, you probably need to reevaluate what you're doing for metcons and how you're doing it.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Sheldon, I would get stiffness in my knees when I was putting a lot of miles on the bike. Glucosamine cleared it up within a few days.