CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Review: V-MAX Box Weight Vest

So I gave in and spent the money on a weight vest. So far so good.

Customer Service: I sent several emails asking about different models and weights. They were VERY slow to respond and the responses were pretty poor. Finally I picked up the phone and things were totally different. Someone answered on my first call and was able to answer all my questions. It took approximately one week to arrive from the time I placed my order.

The Vest: I ordered the 100lbs Box vest from V-Max (weightvest.com wfs). The vest is actually one 50lbs pound vest and one 50lbs attachment, which is like a second vest that goes over the first (but shouldn't be used as a stand alone vest). This is a nice feature because it makes switching weights easier. For example, if you wanted 80lbs for dips and then 30lbs for rope climbs, and wanted to alternate between the two exercises, you could load up the vest with 30lbs and the attachment with 50lbs, and then just remove and reattach the attachment between exercises, rather than having to pull out 20 2.5lbs weights.

I've only had it for a few days but the quality appears top notch. The vest is easy to put on and fits very well. I've used it so far for dips, pull ups, push ups, rope climbs and ab roll outs and it felt great. Changing weights is relatively easy. I removed 25lbs worth of weights at one point in about one minute, and took about 90 seconds to put them back in. The vest fits just as well and feels perfectly balanced when using submax weight.

Bottom line: It was expensive (~$350) but I doubt there's a better vest out there and this has a lifetime warranty. If you, like me, do a lot of body weight stuff, the cost can be justified.

Based on comments I got here and elsewhere I seriously considered getting less weight, but I am very glad that I got the amount I did. Reducing weight is easy and I'm happy that I have the full 100lbs for a few exercises that I can use it on and that I'll have it as I work up to it on others.

I hope this is useful and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Bryan Lara

Profile:
Re: Review: V-MAX Box Weight Vest

I also like the sweat lining they have kept it from smelling
Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Yeah, I forgot to add that. The box line of vests has an interior lining that blocks moisture from entering the vest and can be wiped down after workouts. That's the reason I picked the Box vest over the slightly less expensive V-Max.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
Edward Guzman

Profile:

Is this Rogue or like the Rogue Box?
Rogue's cost ~$150.