CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
Matthew Bates

Profile:
Cool Sprained Wrist

I sprained my wrist a couple weeks ago. I have been trying to go easy on it with crossfit, as well as playing football. I have noticed its not getting better so I have decided to sit the sidelines for a little while in football but I don't want to stop crossfit. Its the only thing that keeps my sane at my duty station. Does anyone have any ideas for a work out other that running, body squats, glute-ham sit-ups, and back extensions; Those are all I have been doing lately.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Sprained Wrist

RICE bucket. Fill a large bucket with rice.. yes rice the stuff you eat.. and then stick your hand in, keep your forearm and elbow still, and then start turning your wrist in circles both counterclockwise and clockwise for about 25 revolutions per. If it's too easy then stick it deeper or start opening the hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Matthew Bates

Profile:

So this will heal my wrist faster? What about working out? Should I discontinue working out until I feel 100%?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I'm bumping this one back instead of starting a new one. I've had wrist pain for about 4 months now, it hurts to do regular push-ups so I have been doing them on my fists. I can do less on my fists, they feel so weak and unstable. They are very thin, I hate that about them, lol. My ortho told me that they also seemed a bit loose, as he was able to push down the outer bone down a lot. This is no surprise as I'm loose everywhere (can subluxate shoulders at will, feet are loose according to him too, etc.).

Anyways, I went to him yesterday after wearing a brace for a few days and seeing no improvements... he identified the pain in the main extensor tendon. I didn't think it was this, as it didn't hurt to try and extend the wrist from a neutral possitino (palm in line with forearm), but when he flexed my wrist and told me to try and extend it, from that very beggining of the ROM, it hurted like heck. After a cortisone shot, we tested again and no pain. Told me to wear the wrist brace for 10 days.

I've searched and found at least 15 posts where Steven Low recommends the Rice Bucket, lol. So I already found a used 5 gallon bucket and threw in 20 pounds of rice. I tried it just leftie and it was hard, I did 15 reps in each direction, it was particulary hard to do it clockwise (left handed). Steven recommends doing 50 reps but I cannot do it, so I'll do several sets of 15 or 20 until I reach 50. I will do this everyday in hopes of stronger wrists!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Rice strengthens all of the muscles in the forearm, so if your problem is due to weakness/instability then yes it will help.

If it's not, then this will probably not help.

Ice and massage are also recommended....
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Now that I've tried this, I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. Steven, I hope you read this: When you stick your forearm in the rice, is your forearm from elbow to wrist static? If so, the circles will be much smaller in all directions. Or can you pronate/supinate the forearm which would allow for much bigger circles to be made?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

I keep it in pronated position and make circles both ways.

It doesn't really matter if you supinate or pronate... you can't get an excessively bigger ROM unless you're moving your elbow.