CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Donald Porter

Profile:
50lb Vest

Hey people

Just got my 50lb vest and love it. I have been training with it constantly and using it for the WODs (minus the runs). Just wondering if anyone else out there uses one and any of the fun workouts (in addition to the WOD) or variations they like when using it. It has been a killer add-on to my workouts. Almost deadly it feels like!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: 50lb Vest

I wear body armor pretty routinely and swear by it. One of my favorite additional training additions (in the summer) is what I call combat yardwork. I wear it mowing the lawn going up and down the hill in my backyard. I do it at a run or close to it, so I'm confident my neighbors think I'm bat$hit and dodging invisible sniper fire or something.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Donald Porter

Profile:

Combat yardwork sounds awesome. However I live in an apartment right now, maybe I will wear it when I vacuum and do step ups on the coffee table to clean the ceiling fans.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Can you adjust the weight in your vest? If so you might consider cutting running in it every so often, it's pretty decent training.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Good idea. I'm going to wear my 90lb vest when I mow the lawn. The lawn isn't very big here though.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I wear body armor pretty routinely and swear by it. One of my favorite additional training additions (in the summer) is what I call combat yardwork. I wear it mowing the lawn going up and down the hill in my backyard. I do it at a run or close to it, so I'm confident my neighbors think I'm bat$hit and dodging invisible sniper fire or something.
Haha that'd definitely be funny to see for someone just walking down the sidewalk. Reminds me of a scene in Generation Kill, where Rudy throws on all his gear, adds some rocks for weight, then runds laps.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Harry Palley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I wear body armor pretty routinely and swear by it. One of my favorite additional training additions (in the summer) is what I call combat yardwork. I wear it mowing the lawn going up and down the hill in my backyard. I do it at a run or close to it, so I'm confident my neighbors KNOW I'm bat$hit and dodging invisible sniper fire or something.
Fixed. Man I laughed my *** off after reading that. Combat yardwork! So awesome.
A little while ago I was contemplating wearing my vest (albeit a mere 25 pounder) for a good portion of the day, in hopes that I'd "adapt" to the weight so to speak. I remember reading about some guy who experimented with that and his bodyweight benchmarks just exploded through the roof. 50lbs though, for a good portion of the day, might be a recipe for CNS disaster.