CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
There are a lot of Brits in New Orleans this week

I work at a bank in downtown New Orleans. This whole week, I have been surrounded by Brits. There a couple of hundred of them on a large tour across the U.S. I have to say, they are some of the most delightful people I have met. A lot of them are coming into my bank to cash in traveler's cheques. So, when the teller is helping them, I ask them where they are from, how long they will be in town, what have they enjoyed the most about coming to America. These are some of the responses I got:

It is too hot down south.
New York City is too big to be believable, but really enjoyable.
The food in New Orleans is very good, but a lot of it is way too spicy.
They can't believe how posh some of the hotel rooms they have been staying in are.
They have had nothing but good experiences with Americans, and have a pretty favorable opinion of Americans.

The British I have talked to are a lot nicer than the Germans that were in town a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: There are a lot of Brits in New Orleans this week

Heh, good to hear. Our pastor flies to England a lot because he's on the board at Evangelical Press, and he loves it, he's usually got a completely new story or two when he gets back.

And, we had a guy fresh out of seminary who was from England, and he was the associate pastor for a while, took a few weeks to be able to easily listen and comprehend everything with the accent differences between Michigan and England, but he was great. Him and his wife just moved back to England about a year ago, they're a great couple.

One thing I did notice, and my pastor said the same thing, is the decided difference in sense of humor between the two countries. One guy I know was over there with our pastor when he was speaking at a seminar, there was a sign language interpreter in the front interpreting for a deaf guy in the front row, and he told a joke that he knew got the crowd every single time, and nobody so much as cracks a smile so he just continues on, about 15 seconds later from the front row comes this hysterical laughter as the interpreter just caught up and the deaf guy "heard" the joke.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
One thing I did notice, and my pastor said the same thing, is the decided difference in sense of humor between the two countries. One guy I know was over there with our pastor when he was speaking at a seminar, there was a sign language interpreter in the front interpreting for a deaf guy in the front row, and he told a joke that he knew got the crowd every single time, and nobody so much as cracks a smile so he just continues on, about 15 seconds later from the front row comes this hysterical laughter as the interpreter just caught up and the deaf guy "heard" the joke.
I think the British need Benny Hill saxaphone music in the background to be able to laugh.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Simon Bowley

Profile:

I think Brits are pretty cool. But then I am one.

Is that sax music in the background.....?!