CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Judd Borakove

Profile:
Insurance Question

I am in the US and have to get my insurance ASAP. I was wondering who you use, if it covers the facility if you are leasing commercial space, and how much it cost you.

Thank you,

Judd Borakove
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Insurance Question

Im having troubles with insurance and agents. Very frustrating experience.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Jeff Hayes

Profile:

No worries folks- I run BTB CrossFit in Atlanta. In my day job I am an insurance wholesaler. I won't get into what that is, but bottom line is that I have multiple contacts around the insurance marketplace. I have set up a CrossFit program with a carrier that provides all the necessary coverages for a CF facility.

The typical facility seems to be running around $1000-$1200/year. I have set up a designated agent to administer the program. Feel free to contact Debbie Stoughton at HTR Insurance. Her phone # is 626-584-3040 and her email is debbiest@htrinsure.com. Tell her Jeff said hi. She will take good care of you. Many affiliates have already purchased this insurance.

For the time being, this program is for CF affiliates that run a facility. I am working on a program for individual trainers as well- but that is still in the works. If you are an individual CF trainer, I would start with a google search of "fitness trainer insurance" or something of that nature. There are many options out there. This should only cost you around $300/year. The things to be sure of with these policies is that it will cover you outdoors outside of a facility. Some cover indoor activities only. Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hayes; 10-23-2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: add info
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
No worries folks- I run BTB CrossFit in Atlanta. In my day job I am an insurance wholesaler. I won't get into what that is, but bottom line is that I have multiple contacts around the insurance marketplace. I have set up a CrossFit program with a carrier that provides all the necessary coverages for a CF facility.

The typical facility seems to be running around $1000-$1200/year. I have set up a designated agent to administer the program. Feel free to contact Debbie Stoughton at HTR Insurance. Her phone # is 626-584-3040 and her email is debbiest@htrinsure.com. Tell her Jeff said hi. She will take good care of you. Many affiliates have already purchased this insurance.

For the time being, this program is for CF affiliates that run a facility. I am working on a program for individual trainers as well- but that is still in the works. If you are an individual CF trainer, I would start with a google search of "fitness trainer insurance" or something of that nature. There are many options out there. This should only cost you around $300/year. The things to be sure of with these policies is that it will cover you outdoors outside of a facility. Some cover indoor activities only. Cheers.
Big help Jeff, thanks. My policy excludes "wall climbing activities" and "water activities". It does follow/protect me wherever I go though, I made sure of that.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

My insurance is through C.M. Meiers Co, out of NY. They handle policies in multiple states. In business since 1934. Contact Eva at 1-818-224-6100
Facility general liability insurance is based on square footage. My cost is $730/year
Individual professional insurance (trainers) is $221/year.
Great cost, give her a call for a quote!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Judd Borakove

Profile:

Thank you Jeff and Monique,

I am calling both to get quotes and see who can turn it around quickly.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
David Tillman

Profile:

Did any of you have to supply documentation for underwriting? If so, what did you provide?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:

Monique,
What is the square footage of your facility?

www.mtbakercrosffit.com
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

Skip,
It's 2,000 sq ft
Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Steve Reggio

Profile:

I contacted Debbie and am just getting started. For those that have a facility- How much coverage do you have? I would prefer to be over insured, are people getting 1, 2, 5, 10 million in coverage?