CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Mens Health September Issue

Just wondering if anyone checked out the latest issue of MH. Since beginning CF in July, I've pretty much abandoned the typical weight lifting principles that MH promotes. They basically come up w/ a sure fire way to "lose the love handles for good" every month.

Today I was in a waiting room and thumbed through their latest issue. They did a piece on David Statham (the guy from those Transporter movies). He gave his workout principles that he used to drop 17 lbs of fat in 6 weeks to get ready for his latest movie. You'll never guess what the program looked a lot like.. wait..for..it ... CROSSFIT!

He talked about kettlebells, pullups, crab walks and intervals. The article mentions a brief warm-up period followed by high intensity work that leaves you gasping for air.. Sound familiar? It also looks like he is using the zone diet or something similar..

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. There was no tribute to CF, but those workouts sure seem like the WOD's we do every day. I couldn't find the article online, maybe someone else can.

JG
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Jason Fryer

Profile:
Re: Mens Health September Issue

First off, the actor's name is Jason Statham.

I remember seeing that article in a much earlier issue of Men's Health and he basically said that he never does any specific workout. He just goes out and does what he wants to do at max intensity. He is a strong advocate of bodyweight exercises and natural movements.

I also remember him mentioning somewhere that his favorite pieces of equipment are a heavy sledge and a huge tire.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...00cfe793cd____ (W/F/S)
Old 09-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:

jason's a pretty fit guy, and AGILE to boot. he was an olympic diver on the british national diving team before he was an actor...so as far as flexibility and body awareness go, he's set.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Vince Shimp

Profile:

Most of what's in Mens Health is worthless but I'm very grateful to them because I discovered CrossFit from a short article they wrote mentioning the CF website
Old 09-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Sorry, I got his name wrong.

Still, it was interesting to see all the principles we use everyday.

I agree regarding mens health. I read the mag since college and feel like I've made more progress in a short time here than I ever could using the countless plans they put out.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Jack Gayton

Profile:

This is the link, I was talking about. Very similar to crossfit..

(Safe)

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...0012281eac____
Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Justin Herring

Profile:

I picked up a Men's Health in an airport a couple of months ago, as I do from time to time. It had been a while since I read one (in fact, not since my pre-Crossfit days). But I was surprised at how much of the advice didn't seem that crappy. There seemed to be a lot of relatively functional, full RM exercises and the dietary advice seemed relatively Zone friendly. There were no endorsements of machines and a lot of body weight and barbell exercises. A few dodgy things too, but overall it didn't seem that terrible.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Jack Gayton

Profile:

I don't think the info in there is pointless. I guess it's just the new "secret" every month. The sure-fire plan for a six pack. I guess w/ motivation and really pushing the workouts, people do get there, it just didn't work for me.

You also have to remember, their primary function is sales. They need to draw a readership to sell the ads that pay their bills.. It's a lot more appealing to see an article like "Beach Body in 6 Weeks". Yeah, you can get the body in 6 weeks if you are religious on your diet and push your workouts to the absolute max..I just thought it was cool to see an article that seemed to so accurately describe what is done here.

I have to be honest, I'm now extemely biased to crossfit. I've told a few of my friends who still follow the standard chest day, back day etc .. They nod their head, but don't get it. I guess you have to do the WOD's a few times to get it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Nathanial Neal

Profile:

Im pretty sure he talks about his trainer being Logan Hood and I belive he is a Gym jones desciple.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:

I actually still have a subscription to MH and have been noticing that many of the "Get Better/Hard Core" articles are focusing more and more on the functional aspect of fitness, very similar to what we look for and do. It is funny though that every time my MH comes, it is packaged with the ad for the secret to wash-board abs, the "Abs Diet" among other fads they promote.

There has been a lot more functional type stuff in it, but the need to weed through the MANY MANY ridiculous ads, subscription cards, and the more "traditional" type workouts, it still has a ways to go. Every once in a while though something good squeaks in.

I have used a few GREAT steak recipes among others out of it, so it has paid for itself!