CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-23-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Chris Longley

Profile:
There was this programme on TV today which takes athletes and put them through the SAS selection process in the Jungles in Borneo.
The first interesting thing was that most of the athletes featured were endurance athletes - marathon runners and the like. Now these people were chosen because they are meant to be the 'fittest of the fittest'. However, one by one they dropped out because they couldn't complete the exercises - and this was basic military stuff - hiking with a rucksack and push-ups etc. Therefore even if I hadn't set eyes on crossfit before, i'd be thinking that maybe endurance athletes aren't the pinnacle of fitness. However, having seen the programme and experienced the effects of Crossfit and having seen how endurance athletes fail during even basic functional activities, i can say 100% that i'm on the right track with crossfit.

Thanks Coach

Chris
Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 AM   #2
Coach

Profile:

You are welcome Chris, and thank you!

Ignoring for a moment the overwhelming preponderance of anaerobic pathways as opposed to aerobic pathways in police and military work, the aerobic adaptation is largely specific to the training modality. Running alone will not sufficiently prepare one for the the aerobic demands of mixed modal challenges like, say, an OC. And will DETRAIN for the anaerobic AND strength demands.

Keep up the good work, Chris!

Coach
Old 02-26-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
Derek

Profile:

We would love to get our hands on a copy of that video!
Thanks Chris
Old 02-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
Chris Longley

Profile:
Its a UK programme called "SAS Jungle: Are You Tough Enough". Don't know how you could get hold of it but its on BBC2 on Sunday nights at 9pm. Don't know if thats any help.
There was a first series just called "SAS: Are you tough enough enough" - same thing, no jungle. Its on amazon.co.uk if you want to take a look

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...516376-3352432

Thats the best I can do i'm afraid.

Cheers

Chris
Old 02-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Gerry Nowotny

Profile:  
I was an Army officer for five years. MAny of my friends are former rangers. The fisrt phase conditioning of Ranger School is probably a great indication of what it takes to survive this type of training. When I was at West Point we had an several obstacle courses which were very punishing. The indoor obstacle course was a 3-4 minute sprint of crawling , jumping, climbing, and runnning that left a person gasping for air for and the desire to puke for at least an hour afterwards. They know how to hurt you in the Service