CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
I completely sliced my achilles tendon today at the gym, I was looking for some missing equipment in the crawl space and sliced it on a piece of tin flashing.

I had surgery to re-attach the tendon and am in a cast for a few weeks.

Any idea how long the recovery will be? I can start rehab in 6 weeks. Are there any supplements that will speed up recovery?

I was planning of getting Crossfit certified in May... guess that isn't happening :-(

At least I just recieved an email that my elite rings have shipped!

Any advice?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
joseph elberti

Profile:

Tendons are composed primarily of type I collagen (with small amounts of type III and V.)
Although tendons dont seem to be all too nutrition-sensative, the following couldnt hurt:

Vitamin C
Proline
water

Proper rehab is going to be your best bet, as the tendons will respond to exercise.

Sorry that happened, thats gotta suck. Try and restrain yourself, I know its hard to lay off injuries when you are supposed to. At least you have other outlets.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Anyone have anything to say about glucosamine and tendon repair?

Last night was rough, I woke up in extreme pain at 4am, popped a vicodin and sat around in a haze.

I really hate the way vicodin makes me feel...
Old 04-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I've been on glucosamine for years for arthritis (OA) but wasn't aware it had any effect on tendon growth. Given all the various tendonitis I've had, I wouldn't think it would work that well. For one thing, it doesn't start to have much effect on OA for about 2 months, so unless there is different mechanism for tendons, you'll be healed by then.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Can't hurt, right?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
joseph elberti

Profile:

right, it cant hurt- it will help boost type II collagen (definatly NOT a primary type of tendon collagen), and is mildly... mildly antiinflammitory

speaking of which, a non-inflammitory diet at this juncture will probably help speed healing a bit- pay attention to your fats!

Zinc always helps healing/recovery as well
Old 04-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Jason Billows

Profile:
Ouch. That really sucks.

Try to keep up the workout focus in your day to day lift. If you can't workout, ready, study, etc. Once you're out of your vicodin haze try to get up and working on your rings. Think of it not as time that you can't work your lower body, but rather a time to focus on upper body.

I hope you heal quickly.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Yeah good points. I am also going to give the zone diet a good go. I don't want to get fat(er) due to lack of cardio. I think in a month or so I can use the C2 rower. Infact that might be the first piece of cardio equipment I will be able to use.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
Matthew,
My sympathies. I severed two flexor tendons in my left forefinger a few years back. While I don't know the similarities/dissimilarities of the two injuries, I can tell you that my finger is pretty great. I do have some residual stiffness and the odd ache, but I'm back to finger-tip pullups and 400+ pound deadlifts. The good news is that it sounds like you had a clean slice as opposed to a tear; much easier to repair. I have no medical proof for this but I feel certain that my attitude played a major part in my recovery. I simply refused to accept anything less than 100% functional ability from my finger. Had I known about it at the time, I would have demanded the same in regards aches and pain. Obviously, be fastidious with your rehab.
Best wishes for a full recovery.
John
Old 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I tore my Achilles the hard way in April 2000. Was playing shortstop, went sprinting for a grounder up the middle and never made it to the ball.

Recovery was slow, slow, slow. Had some pain for at least a year. Gave up running completely for over 4 years. Tendon repair takes time and the blood flow to that part of the body is notoriously poor.

However, I was back to squatting long before my recovery was complete. (The pain really motivated me to keep the weight on my heels!) Plus my Achilles was torn while yours was severed so I'd expect you'd have a quicker recovery unless the surgeon shortened the tendon (which some Achilles surgery techniques do, ask your doctor).

I would do Tabata squats or other types of squat protocols for cardio instead of rowing. The rower requires you come up on the balls of the feet at least somewhat, which will probably hurt like hell.

I took just one Vicodin post-op and that was it. I still have the other 29 pills...

I used a trash can filled with ice water to help with the swelling. Ice water will cool the area quicker than ice alone. You can use the ice-to-water ratio to adjust the temperature to your liking (aka your pain threshold) which you can't do with ice alone.

Hope this helps.