CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of high carb sports drinks such as Energy Source, High 5, Gatorade etc. etc? I have always used them for sport and cycling and in the gym using them before, during and after.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
it depends upon what your after.

If you want to tap into the metabolic window that occurs after a training session, I would drink one of those drinks after my training session with about 20 to 30 grams of whey protein.

If I was looking for the energy for the workout, i would get a carb free energy drink pre workout and during the workout.

Carb manipulation is one of the things I've figured out the past two years. It's simply amazing learning what your body responds to and how fast you can get results from it.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Max Seid

Profile:
Arden,
I have always been struggling with a post work out meal. Right now I am trying to decide whether to go with a gatorade mixed with protein, or a protein shake, an apple, and some almonds. I know they are more or less opposites of eachother, one is high in fat and one is high in carbs. Which one would you go with to promote lean muscle building?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Max Seid

Profile:
Sorry Jamie, I just realized I kind of thread-jacked you.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Max,
To answer your question, I would go with about 8 oz's of gatorade and some whey (one scoop) immediately after your training. Then about 45 minutes later, drink some more whey (1.5 to 2 scoops) with the rest of the rest of your gatorade. Don't have any whole food until about 1.5 hours to 2 hours after your train.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Max Seid

Profile:
Thanks Arden. I had posted a thread about a week ago regarding post workout nutrition on a strength day vs. a hard metacon day but didn't get much feedback. Do you think that post workout nutrition should be the same on both days even though you feel as if you have worked alot harder on a metacon day?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Max,
I say it depends on you goals.
Strength training, it seems to me, has an explicit goal of stimulating lean muscle tissue to grow (for a variety of reasons, but most importantly to keep you metabolism high). With this goal in mind, I think both pre and post workout nutrition are essential so as to facilitate this goal. I find I don't progress as well if I do a strength session early in the morning on an empty tank whereas if I have something before, then drink a drink like Arden suggested, eating later (as Arden suggested) I progress much better.

In terms of metcon/cardio work, you'd probably be OK with regular eating patterns as opposed to a whey+carb drink combo and the whole pre+post workout nutrition thing. I say probably here assuming your goal is to maintain or obtain leanness as opposed to trying to gain some weight (in which case you might need to skip this kind of training).

Hope that helps.
-Dan
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Arden thanks for the comments. I tried the gatorade whey mix today and it went down a treat - I thought it may curdle but it was fine and really tasty - so that's the plan from now on.

No worries on thread-jacking Max - I wanted to know the information that you have prompted anyway!:happy:

A quick one to Dan a little bit off topic- I already am pretty lean and want to gain a bit more weight - are you suggesting skipping the met-con stuff or is it ok to do this as long as I eat enough to sustain it?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
Jaime Steele

Profile:
I forgot to ask Arden - can you give me an example of a carb free energy drink?

Thanks again

Jaime
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Carb free energy drink - sugar free red bull. IMO, it tastes absolutely awful. My personal favorite of the sugar frees is a brand called Boo Koo that you can buy rather cheap at Costco or Big Lots. I would advise using these carb free energy drinks sparingly. Can't really say why, but the lawyer in me "goes off" when I hear of people drinking 8 to 10 of these drinks a day.

I agree with Daniel on the metcon workouts. I take a shake immediately after the metcon session, then eat a regular meal instead of the second shake. Never really realized I did it either.

All the best,
Arden