CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #31
Robert Wolf

Profile:
A little up-date. Nicki had a new client come in today for her first consultation. 35 year old woman, distance runner referred to us by a local doctor to improve her strength to avoid some over-use injuries she has been experiencing.

During the course of conversation this woman mentions she has had significant GI upset for many years (a number of other issues as well) and her doc recommended that she see a dietitian. The dietitian recommended a diet rich in oats, brown rice and...sprouted grain products.

The new client has had no improvement in her symptoms since initiating the dietitians recommendations over a year ago. She suffers significant pain in her mid-back, wrapping around to her abdomen. Her doc thinks its gall-bladder issues and she is going in for an ultra-sound on monday.

Gall bladder disease is a direct result of celiac and related conditions IMO:
http://gluten-free.org/hoggan/gall.txt
http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/g/gallstones.htm

celiac and similar conditions irritate the gut lining decreasing the absorption of fats and other nutrients. This lack of fat absorption lead to an increased rate of bile acid production and secretion...leading to gallstones. it's interesting to note that hyperinsulinism is also an associated factor.

I guess the reason I am so passionate about this stuff is it has personally affected me via my health and my mothers. Additionally I have seen all of our clients who adopt a more paleo oriented diet report nothing but beneficial results. I have seen cases like with our new client again and again and they have NO GOOD RESOURCES to go to. The doctors are as clueless and the dietitians and it is such a (potentially) easy yet life altering fix.

These conditions are woefully under-diagnosed and all it would take is a willingness to TRY...try dropping these foods and see if you, your clients or patients feel better.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #32
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Robb,

Thanks for the post earlier. I will certainly have questions for you in the future.

Re your new client: I read that the MCTs in coconut oil are small enough to be absorbed directly, as opposed to entering the lymphatics, perhaps that should be included with the new diet you are putting her on (which I"m sure will help tremendously).

As per your advice for me, I ate paleo all last summer and lost weight, that I didn't need to loose. I find it hard to consume enough kcal. I'm 27 and very active...climber body type that excels at Helen/Nancy sorts of workouts, maybe sometime I could get a consultation from you. Until then I'm sticking with my oats for breakfast.

Cheers, and it's been a pleasure conversing with you!

-Daniel
ps-i don't think I could martelo your head off.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #33
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Daniel-
Phone me anytime at the number in my email. If you want to keep a food and training log for a week or two and have me peruse it I'd be happy to do so.

I wish all doctors were as curious as you are.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #34
Allison Barns

Profile:
Wow.... excellent thread here! I had to print it off to properly digest it (pun intended :lol:)

Robb - always good to 'hear' your thoughts.

Daniel - I'll second Robb in wishing all doctors were as curious as you. The first doctor I went to for my issues put me on an anti-depressant and told me to sleep more. Thank goodness I later found an ND who thought my diet was related to my issues and diagnosed my gluten (and dairy/almond/peanut) intolerance. What a difference in life quality a change in diet can make!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #35
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Ah, gallbladders.

I consider it the equivalent of malpractice that gallbladders are so quickly removed AND that patients are not prescribed inexpensive and simple bile supplements.

This, quite frankly, is one of the simplest and most effective supplements I have for that particular population.

Basically, the way I put it to patients is, if they have gallbladder issues, it means that they've been eating foods that haven't been "agreeing" with them for a LONG time...(ie. gluten is an easy target)
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #36
Nikki Young

Profile:
Garrett, if someone gets their gallbladder removed, would you prescribe a specific diet to them, something paleo orientated and get them to have an allergy test?
Does someone who has their gallbladder removed more likely to easily put on weight, or does it play no part in all that stuff?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #37
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nikki,
*Everyone* gets put on the Paleo diet. :happy:

I'm starting to utilize allergy tests more, however, there are so many more ways the immune system can react other than with antibody/antigens that the major Paleo overhaul and fixing the leaky gut (likely due to gluten and nightshades) is first and foremost.

If someone is missing their gallbladder (and believe me, they're missing it whether they know it or not!), they are not properly digesting any of the fats that they eat. In women, all I can say is that every single female patient I've had that has had gallbladder surgery is significantly overweight and has symptoms after eating fatty foods.

The treatment for this is simply correcting the diet and having the patient take a bile supplement with any fat-containing meal or supplement ie. fish oil (I use ox bile), until they get a new gallbladder--that's not likely to happen, so that means for the rest of their life.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #38
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Dr. G.

My wife had her gallbladder removed several years ago.

She is 1.6m (5ft 3") and 122lb. Based on the book "The Zone" by Dr. Sears, she is approx. 22%BF. she does spinning several days a week as well as a daily weightlifting routine. She is actually quite fit.

She and I recently went on the Zone diet. What is a "bile supplement" and is that readily available in a pharmacy?

Thank you in advance for your response. :happy:
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #39
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Franklin,
I carry a simple ox bile supplement, contact my office if you are interested.

Many retail outlets don't carry bile supplements, or they carry supplements with a very small amount of bile in them. This is typically a supplement that must be obtained from a health care practitioner to get an "effective" version. For example, the one I utilize has 500mg of ox bile per capsule. Most other "enzyme" supplements that even contain bile have around 50mg per capsule. Big difference.

It sounds as though your wife is doing a good job with her health otherwise. Improving her fat utilization and absorption will definitely help her in the long run.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #40
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Dr. G.

Thanks for your response.

The reason that I asked about bile supplements being obtainable at a pharmacy is that my wife and I don't live in the US. I'll check into the availability of the ox bile at the local pharmacies.