CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Jamie,

some folks can gain muscle while lifting heavy, eating a ton, and continuing metcon/cardio. I can not if I continue metcon/cardio. I suppose this is due to my relatively fast metabolism.

If you're having success gaining muscle while continuing metcon, then great! If not, then reduce cardio/metcon.

-Dan
Old 05-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
Damien Del Russo

Profile:
Y'all sound a lot more knowledgeable than me about the details here, but let me chime in about caloric balance real quick. If you are concerned about leaning out too much or not gaining muscle because of the metabolic conditioning, maybe you should check your caloric intake on those metcon days.

Quick example, according to fitday.com I require about 3200 calories per day - that is based on my 190 lb frame and mildly active lifestyle. A heavy lifting CrossFit workout adds another couple hundred calories. However, on my long distance cardio days (I know, not very CrossFit) I run about 5 miles and mix in some pushups and such, burning about 1000 calories.

I think it's pretty uncontroversial that if I burn 4200 calories and eat only my normal 3500 that I am going to have trouble gaining much muscle during that week. If I throw in an extra dose of 800 carbs or so, that should offset the extra burn.

Feel free to tell me if you think I am way off base here.

Damien
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
Craig Loizides

Profile:
I think you can go with a little more Gatorade/carbs in your post workout shake, especially if you are looking to gain weight. There are only 50 calories (13g carbs) in 8 oz of gatorade. I've seen studies suggesting as high as 4:1 carb:protein, but I usually do something like 25-50 g carbs and 25 g protein. I have a meal instead of second shake.

As far as high carb sports drinks go (not sugar free energy drinks which I try to avoid) they are helpful in continuous activities of 45 minutes or more. They aren't harmful in shorter events, just not necessary. I like to make my own when I go on a long mountain bike ride. I use maltodextrin and sometimes some dextrose as a carb. You can get it real cheap and some people say it is better than the sucrose and fructose found in Gatorade. It's also much less sweet which I find makes it easier to drink on long rides. I use 50-60g per liter. Use more and you'll actually dehydrate yourself because water will be taken from the body to the digestive system to dilute the strong sugar solution. Use less and you slow the absorption of the carbs. If I'm going to be out for more than 90 minutes I add a couple electrolyte tablets to the mix. They usually aren't necessary in events under 2 hours. I also add a few grams of BCAAs per liter.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
There one thing not at all mentioned in this thread that I believe relates directly, however I am not an expert on the subject. I am hoping those experts can jump in and add to this thread. It's the hormonal response, and how insulin effects it. I don't want to say too much here, because my knowledge wasn't from direct sources, but I was lead to believe that too much sugar will increase levels of insulin in the body, and that in turn will have a negative effect on HGH. The hormone that we want in order to increase muscle growth and adaptation from strength exercises.

Help on this aspect of post workout nutrition. Because it contradicts traditional beliefs that optimizing the "glycemic window" directly after exercise is the standard method of post workout recovery. And since crossfit seems to contradict everything we know about nutrition and exercise, I wouldn't be suprised if it is no different here.

Jordan