CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
You can get those bars at Trader Joes if you have one in your area too. Best price...
Old 04-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Yeah, ditch the coffee. Seriously. Go cold turkey with no coffee (or other caffeine source, besides items with minimal caffeine like cocoa) for two weeks. The first few days are going to probably suck if you're addicted to the stuff (which a lot of people are, and yes, you can actually be addicted to caffeine). But after the first few days, going into the second week, you'll feel much better.

Oh, and after that two weeks, just don't drink caffeine items anymore (coffee, pop, etc). I used to drink pop like it was going out of style, and haven't touched it in basically years. Besides the caffeine, the whole can of the stuff is junk. And I never liked coffee, so it didn't really matter to me.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
Max Seid

Profile:
Daniel, now that you are doing crossfit without lax, do you keep your diet somewhat the same as when you were playing or how have you adjusted?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Max,

I'd say my diet is much better than when I was in school. Mostly because I have more resources to buy organic veggies and better meat; but I am not paleo. I find that I don't handle refined carbohydrates well but do very well with Oatmeal, fruit, Brown Rice, Quinoa, Potatoes, and some sprouted grain bread/pasta.

I guess there are degrees of carb tolerance and that some people can't handle carbs well outside of the post-workout window...but that isn't me. I can eat healthy grains all day and still be <9%bf...usually more like 5-7%bf. The caveat to this would be that I commute on my single speed bike to work, and either climb or train capoeira 6-12 hours a week in addition to hitting the gym for x-fit styled workouts.

So in answer to your question; I eat a varied diet high in the right kinds of carbs, lots of green veggies, low in fat (but not too low), and adequate (1.0-.7g/lb body weight) lean protein.

-Dan
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
Daniel Miller

Profile:
oh yeah, and I drink 2-3 cups of fresh ground black coffee daily.

Coffee will have to be pulled from my cold, dead hand.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Max Seid

Profile:
Thanks Dan, apprecaiate the input.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #17
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Dan,

They guys is complaining about a lack of energy and your are suggesting cookies, chocolate and coffee?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
Daniel Miller

Profile:
I'm not suggesting cookies of chocolate, I'm just telling him what I ate as a D-II lacrosse player almost 10 years ago.

As I said in the next post, I avoid refined carbohydrates, which would include cookies and chocolate.

and yeah, I think that with the foreknowledge that caffeine is a powerfully addictive and abused drug, it can be used safely to enhance physical and mental performance.

Looking at his diet it was clear too me that he was not eating enough too support a college level field sport, in addition to the rest of his life so I told him what I ate, not what is best to eat or not eat.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I guess I misunderstood, I though you were saying that getting carbs from paleo sources where less than ideal.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #20
Alicia Michel

Profile:
max, i'm with jordan on the sleep issue. are you getting adequate sleep and rest for your body? i'm a university student too... the tiredness and crappiness i feel occasionally is 80% of the time due to lack of sleep.