CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Vince Shimp

Profile:
Protein blocks in bread

I've been following the block chart in CFJ issue 21 to determine my blocks. When I eat a sandwhich I use a whole grain organic bread. According to the block chart, a couple slices of bread, or a bun/roll etc.. is considered to be 3 blocks of carbs, which is confirmed by the label, approx. 30 grams.

I also noticed it contains 6 grams of protein. There are some items on the CFJ block chart considered combo items, but bread is not one of them. Most of my meals are 4 blocks and I'd hate to take off another ounce of meat because according to the label, my bread essentially contains 1 block of protein.

Should I be counting the protein in the bread?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Protein blocks in bread

You don't count the protein in bread. The zone has hidden calories in that it doesn't count all of the macronutrients in every piece of food that you eat. It only counts certain food as a combo items when they contain a significant amount of another macronutrient besides the dominant one.

Personally, I would ditch the bread. I perform much better without grains in my diet.