CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #11
Tom Brose

Profile:
Jess, nice to see you on here. rather see you in person though!

I have been doing a bit of yoga, and have a few CFDC folks doing it as well. Its helping our ROM and recovery, especially for those of us maimed by years of bad lifting protocols and sports.

Whats up with our meal plan, by the way?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Jesse Stiefel

Profile:
Keith - I was doing some yoga/tai chi when I was working a few months in Canada. I have just started CF & would like to add a little of the yoga at the end of my workout. Can you give me some more details on what poses you are having your clients do?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Not too much to add.

If you were doing Ashtanga 7x per week, then there might be some recovery issues, but as long as you can scale either your yoga or your WOD, then they should complement each other very well.

Are you doing Yoga in a class or at home? Do you have choices in terms of the teacher and/or style of yoga?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #14
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Jesse

If you run a search on yoga on the boards here, you'll see I have ocassionally posted some poses and stuff. I hate to be evasive, but basically I work with what people give me. I usually focus on hamstrings, shoulders and hip flexors: the three tightest areas on most people.

There are so many poses and stretches and I don't really have a specific favorite. If I saw you and saw where you were tight, I'd be better able to just say, "try this." I suggest you get a book or dvd or find a class and try it out. Try to remember the poses/stretches that worked best for you.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
Beth Moscov

Profile:
LOL. Veronica!

I had a pretty serious back injury that I ended up with surgery for three months ago. I dropped off the face of the planet when I was too heart broken to read all about everyone working out while I was barely able to walk.

But I am on the way to recovery. And thrilled about being back.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #16
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Welcome back Beth!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #17
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Beth;
Stuff happens, some recover get stronger,other don't You are obviously in the former group and the CF community will be make you stronger (mentally / physically, period, no doubt.
Just keep doing it, day in , day out.

As "they" say, 90% of it is just showing up each day.

Jay
Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Bill,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. It's hard to do it week by week, but I'll give you a taste of my time management. I must add that I have only partial custody of my chilrden, so I really destroy myself on days I don't have them.

Upon rising, I normally do some yoga or tai chi to start off the day. If I'm not doing an A.M. workout, I'll get ready and go to work. Work normally has me tied up for at least 8 but not more than 12 hours (typically). On days I'm in the office, I can squeeze an hour long M.E. workout at the gym not too far from my ofice. I begin every workout with a short yoga routine that's either upper or lower body, depending upon what I'm training. I also do it again at the end of the workout.

After work, I either do my event training for my sport or some form of physical activity. I see yard work, house cleaning, etc as a warm up for my evening training sessions. Keeps the wife happy too.

At the end of the day, I try to do another mini yoga/tai chi/mediation. Sometimes I'm just dead and can't.

I'm completely instinctive on what I train and when i train. If I'm not sore, I'll do some form of workout. If I am sore, I do some active recovery with my kettlebells, or my event training that's less stressful on the body (chainsawing and axe throwing).

I normally watch less than a half hour of TV a day. Except for one day a week where I Tivo Star Trek enterprise as I'm winding down in the evening.

Hope some of that makes sense?

All the best,

Arden
Old 05-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #19
Jessica Glenny

Profile:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the info. I've been doing Vinyasa Yoga for about 4 weeks, 2 days a week, now. The other days I try to Xfit, run, and kickbox. I think my main problem lies in structuring a regular routine, but I'm working on it. I do appreciate all the feedback. You are all are a bunch of resourceful folks =)

Tom, how are you? I have to admit I have never been the same after my one Xfit group session. I have been dying to go back, but in all honesty, it's not motivation I lack, it's mostly logistics that work against me. And my walking 11 month old munchkin makes it hard to take off to D.C. Trust me, I've brainstormed, I thought my hubby and baby can go walk around DC while I attend the group sessions, or maybe I can bring a sitter with me to keep him busy while I'm there. Or maybe I can just stick him in the corner of the gym and let him have a blast with the kettlebells. Right, a walking baby is a walking hazard, he keeps me on my toes all the time. In the end, I guess I gave up on all those ideas and have become complacent in hoping that Xfit will come to the Rockville/Gaithersburg area (can I start thinking: certification?). So since then I've been doing what I can with the WODs but some exercises I'm not willing to do out of fear of executing them incorrectly and injuring myself, i.e., split jerk, clean, etc. So with all that said, I haven't forgotten about the meal plans. I've actually become quite the beast in the kitchen and tofu no longer scares me. I can cook the heck out of some tofu.
I think you've re-sparked my interest in attempting to attend the group sessions. Thanks for that, I will keep in touch and shoot you an email prior to attending a class. I hope all is well and that Xfit DC is growing (think: expansion to Montgomery County). Take care.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 AM   #20
Tom Brose

Profile:
Jess, actually I have been thinking about trying to add a class in Montgomery County. Winnie lives in Bethesda, so I am there all the time. I'll let you know what might be possible.

If you need some fine tuning on specific movements, I can help you out.