CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-25-2007, 04:32 AM   #11
Jodi Bainbridge

Profile:
Hey Leah!! Welcome aboard! Stick with it and I promise you'll be amazed at the results! :-)
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Leah Patrick

Profile:
Yay, this is all very encouraging! Right now it really seems like the weight is just melting off. Even this weekend when I faltered a little on the nutritional side of things, I still didn't gain any weight, which is unusual for me.

I'm also finding that I am really looking forward to working out. So, yeah, I'm happy so far!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Tami Collins

Profile:
Hello Ladies,

I'm new to CrossFit also, I've been "attempting" the WOD's for about two weeks now and I LOVE it!

Laura -- in regards do the scaled workouts for women do you mean the CrossFit WOD thread on the forum on the Brand X website?

Do you do martial arts as well? I do Judo and Kyuki-Do (I test for Kyuki-Do black belt in March -- that's what I want to get in shape for!)

It's nice to hear from all the other women. Keep up the good work everybody!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi Tami, yes, The link is in my post and it goes to the WOD topic where Jeff posts scalings for 4 different levels. There is usually a second weight posted if scaling for women (and teens) is appropriate. So Fran weight for women would be 65# to be considered "big dawg" weight. Pack weight would be 45#. (Also, all of the trainers post their classes which are also scaled the same way.)

CrossFit is the perfect compliment to fight training. It builds skills that will make you a better fighter and keeps you in good shape if you have to last 3 5 minute rounds. I train in some cage fighting stuff (CrossPit) and Krav Maga in with my CF training I used to take Muay Thai training before CrossPit.

I love to learn fighting skills. I am planning on starting Kenpo Karate hopefully before summer is over.

And....Welcome!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #15
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Welcome, Leah!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Hi there from another girl who can't do a pullup yet! :happy: I just keep jumping and jumping.
I just got back into CF after not doing much of anything for a year and gaining weight...I started CF workouts (not as frequent and VERY scaled) and eating Zone five weeks ago or so and have been losing weight at about 1 lb. per week. And getting stronger! And talking my husband into doing a workout with me from time to time (his job is very physically demanding, so he has to be careful about additional workouts and take it slow) and having fun kicking his @ss for a change...LOL.
Veronica, you're my new shero. I'm going to be you when I grow up.:msn-wink:
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Tirzah, thanks. But when you see what Aimee, Kelly, Annie, or Eva can do, you'll soon have bigger, badder heroes. :D

(Message edited by vgcarp on June 26, 2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #18
Kat Campise

Profile:
Hello Leah and all...

I'm sure there are many Las mujeres de la Crossfit hanging about. I've been lurking on the boards for about 2 months and I added the WOD's to my Muay Thai training two weeks ago. Prior to that I was training for long distance tri's and fitness competitions. I've been through a lot of athletic programs, and nutritional and Crossfit is the BOMB!

I did start the Zone modification to my eating as well and I am much less hungry because of the addition of a certain amount of fat (on the Fitness Competition diets, I was constantly hungry and miserable and cranky to the max...I can't be in front of 170+ middle schoolers each day and feel like ripping their heads off because all I had for breakfast was 5 egg whites, glutamine, and a multi vitamin).

I've dropped 5 pounds and the three, 3 minute training rounds are not killing me. All hail the Tabata!

Cindy kicked my arse this week. As did Kelly. My quads are especially sore from a three round tabata I did with air squats.

All in all, I know that when I step into the ring, I'll be in great condition.

Now, back to lurk mode! :showoff:
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #19
Gina Fleming

Profile:
Sorry to revive this thread, but I wanted to introduce myself as another new CF girl! I was introduced to CF about a week ago by a friend who does MMA. I read and read and read about CF and the Zone diet, and am on Day 5 of both. I'm more sore than I've ever been in my life, but it feels GREAT!

Like Kelly said, I've never been what you'd call an "elite athlete". But I am a competetive equestrian and am hoping to improve my balance and strength. Honestly, I just want to be able to do a handstand and more than one pull-up :lol:

Good luck to all the other newbies, and thank you to the veteran athletes who provide us with so much inspiration!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
David Chow

Profile:
Welcome ladies!

You are on an exciting and new journey in your life and I too owe my new outlook on life to CrossFit. I'm a police officer in Medicine Hat, AB, Canada and before CrossFit I was in the gym 1-2 hours a day doing nothing, but cardio and isolation exercises. I spent my entire athletic life looking for a program that worked and I was never able to find it until CrossFit.

A co-worker introduced me to "Murph" in Dec '06 and I've been hooked ever since. Since then I've lost 20lbs, decreased my 1.5 mile run time and I've never felt stronger in my life.

I attended a Cert with Coach Glassman and he said, "some people have likened CrossFit to a cult, but we don't care if you join and we don't care if you leave...how is that a cult?" In my humble opinion is CrossFit was a cult it is certainly one that I am proud to be a part of.

Happy travels ladies!!