CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
David Vessey

Profile:
Random monkey skills

So I was doing the 5x5 front squat today in the gym. Between my fourth and fifth sets, I saw looking at the other power rack in the gym with (sadly) no one using it, and decided to try a bar muslce up.. and I got it! (kipping, w/o false grip). I thought hey, maybe it's just a fluke, so I did a couple more (I had gotten ring MUs down, but figured the bar MUs would be a lot harder).

Then after my fifth set of FS, I was looking at the power rack I had been using, how there were two bars at the top, about a foot and a half apart. Figured I'd try jumping from one to the other... almost, just missed the second bar, the tips of my fingers just brushed it.

Then I figured while I'm playing, I might as well try some clapping pull ups. I had never tried these before... so I got a few good swings back and forth, kipped up, let go of the bar... clapped... and caught the bar again! I managed to do about five in a row!

I'm not sure how commonly these skills crop up, but I definitely never expected to be able to pull them off without specifically working on them.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
Re: Random monkey skills

yeah...that's sorta how i found out i could do pistols...this was before crossfit, though. i just sorta figured everybody could do them...apparently not!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Great Stuff Dave!

I found out I could do bar muscle-ups in the same way, actually. Ring muscle-ups are still of the table for me thoough...

Why not keep it up and experiment with kip-ups? (they're mentioned in an excercises thread) It's a good agility skill that revolves around core-strength rather than pulling strength. I'm working on them right now - probably have a LONG way to go myself.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
David Vessey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Zega View Post
Great Stuff Dave!

I found out I could do bar muscle-ups in the same way, actually. Ring muscle-ups are still of the table for me thoough...

Why not keep it up and experiment with kip-ups? (they're mentioned in an excercises thread) It's a good agility skill that revolves around core-strength rather than pulling strength. I'm working on them right now - probably have a LONG way to go myself.
By kip ups you mean from the floor to your feet? I've tried those before.. still don't have the coordination/technique. Might try them today at the gym...